The Alliance of Schools for Cooperative Insurance Programs (ASCIP) is now accepting applications for an Accounting Technician
The Alliance of Schools for Cooperative Insurance Programs (ASCIP) is a non-profit agency Joint Powers Authority (JPA). Formed in 1980 as a joint purchase program, ASCIP became a risk sharing pool in 1985. ASCIP provides liability, property, workers' compensation, health benefits coverage, and school construction insurance to public school districts, charter schools, community colleges, and subsidiary JPAs throughout the state of California. http://ascip.org/
ASCIP is accepting applications for an Accounting Technician in their Cerritos, CA, headquarters. This general Accounting position is responsible for various aspects of accounting including, but not limited to, processing accounts receivable and payable, administering all aspects of billing and collections, managing bank reconciliation, producing various accounting and financial reports, and maintaining accurate financial records and data. This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
Accounts Receivable, Payable Processing and Billing
- Ensure all vendor invoices are paid accurately and timely
- Verify terms and billing rates against contracts or master service agreements
- Research and resolve invoice discrepancies and issues
- Obtain appropriate approval, code invoices and prepare payment requests
- Enter payments in accounts payable system or other electronic data files
- Assist with preparation and filing of 1099Misc forms
- Monitor member account details for non-payments, past-due payments and send out delinquent notices to members
- Ensure vendors comply with ASCIP’s payment policy
- Assist member districts or vendors with any questions or issues related to billings
Bank Accounts Reconciliation
- Prepare monthly financial statement supporting schedules
- Reconcile all member districts’ trust accounts
- Identify stale-dated checks and work with vendors to void/reissue these checks
- Ensure that all trust accounts are adequately funded
- Identity and research unusual transactions and prepare adjusting journal entries if needed
- Assist management with compilation and analysis of various operational activities including the preparation of worksheets and charts for use in management reports
- Assist management with the analysis of data to support underwriting, accounting and claim operations.
Maintenance of Financial Records and Data
- Maintain and organize vendor files and ensure that vendor information is accurate
- Maintain accurate and well-organized financial records such as check registers, journal entries, member payment authorization forms
- Ensure that all supporting documentations are attached to journal entries
- Maintain up to date accounts payable and billing databases
- Prepare any ad-hoc financial or operational reports
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- The CFO may revise the essential duties and reporting relationship of this position at any time
Experience and Training:
- A minimum of a high school diploma or GED with a Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree preferred in a related field.
- At least three to five years of experience working in an accounting or insurance technical position.
- Application and use of accounting, claims and financial software, including, but not limited to, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access
- Basic accounting principles, terminology and accounting procedures; basic principles of mathematics
- Basic principles of financial record keeping
- Basic cost control and auditing procedures and practices
- Federal, State, and local laws pertaining to public agencies
- Accurately maintain, reconcile, process, and prepare accounting/financial information and records
- Demonstrate attention to details and good-record-keeping
- Understand, analyze and interpret financial data and reports
- Prepare and record accurate financial/statistical records & reports
- Understand and interpret applicable laws and accounting principles and procedures
- Perform mathematical calculations quickly and accurately
- Organize, prioritize, and follow-up on work assignments
- Establish and maintain effective and cordial relationships with others, including member districts staff and ASCIP staff
- Communicate effectively, both orally and written
ASCIP offers a generous benefits package that includes CalPERS retirement, medical, dental, and vision Insurance, 403(b) and 457 plans, and other benefits.
To be considered for this exciting career opportunity, please apply directly at https://www.calopps.org/alliance-of-schools-for-cooperative-insurance-programs. A completed application and supplemental questionnaire are required to be considered for this employment opportunity. A resume may be included but will not take the place of the required, completed employment application; do not put “See Resume” on the employment application in lieu of completing the requested information.
This recruitment will be opened until filled and may close at any time.
Examination and Selection
Based upon a review of employment applications received, a limited number of the most highly qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the examination process. The process may consist of a telephone screen, an in-person panel interview, a leadership assessment, and an interview with the CEO. Possession of minimal qualifications does not guarantee advancement in the examination/selection process.
NOTE: ASCIP reserves the right, at its discretion, to limit the number of qualified candidates invited to the examination process.