The City of American Canyon is seeking an entry level Maintenance Worker to perform a variety of maintenance and construction duties and operates public works/parks equipment. Initial hire and assignment will be for the Park’s division. Maintenance Worker I’s may advance to the Maintenance Worker II level with a salary range of $4,625-$5,620 per month, after a minimum of two years of successful service and upon the recommendation of the supervisor.
Maintenance Worker I is an entry-level class position. Initially, under close supervision, incumbents learn basic maintenance, construction, and safety procedures. As experience is gained, there is greater independence of action within established guidelines and incumbents are expected to perform a broader scope of duties.
The ideal candidate will possess the ability to:
- Provide manual labor as directed, including digging holes, removing trees, raking, removing trash/litter/debris/graffiti, and planting trees and shrubs.
- Take daily pool readings and perform maintenance activities including cleaning injection systems and strainers, replacing chemical injection lines, and adjusting chemical dosages.
- Perform carpentry work to replace or repair wooden fences, picnic tables, benches, signs, and par course facilities.
- Plant, prune, and maintain plants and trees.
- Assist in the repair and maintenance of irrigation facilities including controllers, drip systems, pipes, and sprinkler heads.
Operate and maintain tractor, flail mower, aerator, and fertilizer spreader.
Experience and/or Education: One year of maintenance or construction experience involving manual labor and the use of a variety of tools and equipment.
Depending upon assignment, some positions may require one or more of the following certificates (Failure to obtain any of the required licenses is cause for release during probation):
- Pesticide Applicator’s License within nine months of appointment to the position.
- Certified Pool Operator’s License within nine months of appointment to the position.
- Possession of a valid California Class C Driver License at the time of appointment. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to a physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Some positions may require a valid California Class A or B Driver License with Tanker Endorsement at the time of appointment. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to a physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- The City contributes a monthly payment equal to 90% of the Kaiser HMO premium rates at each level of coverage (Employee only, Employee plus One Dependent, and Family) for active employees.
- Employees covered by another insurance plan may be eligible for $400 per month in lieu of health coverage.
- The City contributes 100% of the current “Supplement/Managed Monthly Employee Only Rate for Kaiser Senior Advantage” (currently $339.43) to assist with medical insurance costs for CalPERS covered retirees.
- $299.07 “Cafeteria Plan” towards out-of-pocket medical health premium, if any, Life, Group LTD, Dental and Vision Insurance and an Employee Assistance Program.
- Several “family friendly” benefits such as sick leave for dependent care, bereavement, and flexible work schedules.
Vacation: 12 days = 0-3 years of service
15 days = 4-9 years of service
20 days = 10-15 years of service
25 days after 16 years of service
Sick Leave: 12 days per year.
Holidays: 15 paid holidays per year.
Vacation Same as Cash: Eligible employees may convert a portion of their accumulated vacation to cash based on certain guidelines.
After the completion of 10 years = $100 per mo.; after the completion of 15 years = $150 per mo.; after the completion of 20 years = $200 per mo.; after the completion of 25 years = $250 per mo.
The City of American Canyon is an Agency Shop. Positions subject to agency shop shall as a condition of continued employment, have 30 days from the date of hire to either join the union or pay an equivalent fee to an identified non-profit organization.
Retirement Plan - CalPERS 2% @ 55 formula – CalPERS classic members
Employees are covered by the Public Employees’ Retirement Systems (PERS). Employees’ seven percent contribution is employee paid. Employee pays 4.855% toward employer portion (cost sharing). This formula has single highest year compensation.
Retirement Plan – CalPERS 2% @ 62 formula – CalPERS new members
- Three year average on final compensation
- A pensionable income cap of $151,549
The City provides deferred compensation programs in which employees may participate.
Please see the current Memorandum of Understanding with the General Unit Employees and the City of American Canyon for more detailed information related to benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
The City of American Canyon application and supplemental questionnaire must be submitted. This recruitment is "Open Until Filled". To apply, please visit www.cityofamericancanyon.org
Based on a review of qualifications and the supplemental application those applicants determined to be the most qualified will be invited to an oral examination. Candidates successful in the oral examination will then be placed on the eligibility list in rank order of scores received on the tests. The City will then consider candidates from the eligibility list to participate in the departmental hiring process for final selection. Placement on the eligibility list is not a guarantee of a final hiring interview.
Prior to providing a Conditional Offer of Employment, the City will conduct a reference check including but not limited to the verification of employment history and education. All Conditional Offers of Employment will be made and contingent upon successful completion of Livescan Fingerprinting. The resulting report of conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of the conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) will disqualify you as a candidate based on the specific requirements of the position to which you are applying. If selected for fingerprinting, the hiring department will contact you to schedule an appointment. Additionally, all applicants will be required to complete and pass a pre-employment physical and drug screen.