The City of American Canyon, a growing Napa Valley community, is seeking an Accounting Manager to be responsible for providing professional accounting and public finance assistance to the City. Responsibilities will involve supervising and managing City financial activities in the areas of general accounting, accounts payable/receivable, payroll, and provide expert professional and analytical assistance to City management and other staff. This position reports directly to the Finance Director.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Plans, manages, and oversees the implementation of assigned finance and accounting programs, operations, and activities for the City including accounting, financial reporting, budgeting, audits, cash management, investments, debt issuance and administration, revenues, payroll, accounts payable and receivable, business licensing, purchasing, and fixed assets.
- Oversees Citywide payroll for the City and Fire District and related payroll reporting;
- Reviews quarterly and annual federal and state payroll tax returns; ensures tax returns are filed in a timely manner;
- Maintains, evaluates and updates the City's investments; maintains cash flow; makes necessary cash transfer investments and reconciliations to appropriate accounts;
- Coordinates year-end audit process, including preparing audit schedules and serving as point of contact for external auditors; and prepares a Request for Proposal for independent audit services as necessary;
- Participates in the development and administration of the City’s budget; participates in reviewing monthly budget reports; researches and analyzes variances between budget figures and expenditures;
- Manages the City’s banking, cash, daily reconciliation of transactions, and related safeguarding of funds;
- Prepares, analyzes, reviews, and comments on a variety of financial reports, statements, and schedules, including the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) and annual State Controllers’ reports;
- Participates in the development, revision, and maintenance of policy and procedure manuals governing fiscal matters; monitors financial procedures of all City departments, including internal audits and checks and balances; ensures that necessary corrective actions are taken;
- Maintains and reconciles a variety of ledgers, reports, and accounting records; examines accounting transactions to ensure accuracy; approves journal vouchers to post transactions to accounting records;
- Provides highly complex staff assistance to the Director of Finance/City Treasurer; develops and reviews staff reports and other necessary correspondence related to assigned activities and services;
- Stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of public agency finance and accounting; monitors changes in regulations and technology that may affect assigned functions and operations.
The Finance Department is seeking a flexible professional with strong technical skills to embrace and deliver on the City's commitment to excellent internal and external customer service. With significant recent staff turnover, the Accounting Manager should bring a coaching mentality as we continue to develop the accounting team.
The Accounting Manager (Management Analyst II) reports directly to the Finance Director and will supervise and manage City financial activities and systems in the areas of general accounting, budgeting, accounts payable/receivable, payroll, and provide expert professional and analytical assistance to City management and other staff. The ideal candidate will be a finance professional with strong inclusive leadership and problem-solving skills. A positive attitude and sense of humor is also desired!
Education and/or Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in public administration, business administration, finance, accounting, or a closely related field; AND
- Four years of increasingly responsible professional experience in finance and accounting, or other professional field as may be needed in a local government environment.
Possession of a valid California Class C Driver License is required at the time of appointment. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to a physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
This position has a probationary period of twelve (12) months as the initial probationary period (initially hired into the City) and six (6) six months as the promotional probationary period (promoted from one City job class to another City job class).
Work is performed in a typical office environment. (1) Mobility: frequent use of keyboard; frequent sitting for long periods of time; occasional bending or squatting. (2) Lifting: frequently up to 10 pounds; occasionally up to 25 pounds. (3) Vision: constant use of overall vision; frequent reading and close-up work; occasional color and depth vision. (4) Dexterity: frequent repetitive motion; frequent writing; frequent grasping, holding, and reaching. (5) Hearing/Talking: frequent hearing and talking, in person ad on the phone. (6) Emotional/Psychological: frequent decision-making and concentration; frequent public and/or coworker contact; occasional working alone. (7) Environmental: frequent exposure to noise.
May require evening and/or weekend work.
• Monthly contribution equal to 90% of the Kaiser HMO premium rates at each level of coverage (Employee only, Employee plus One Dependent, and Family) for active employees.
• Employees covered by another insurance plan may be eligible for $400 per month in lieu of health coverage.
• The City contributes 100% of the current “Supplement/Managed Monthly Employee Only Rate for Kaiser Senior Advantage” to assist with medical insurance costs for CalPERS covered retirees.
• $348.93, “Cafeteria Plan” contribution can be applied to out-of-pocket medical health premium, if any, Life Insurance, Group LTD, Dental and Vision Insurance and an Employee Assistance Program.
Vacation: 12 days = 0-2 years of service 15 days = 3-5 years of service 20 days = 6-10 years of service 25 days after 11 years of service
Management Leave: 15 days per fiscal year.
Sick Leave: 12 days per year, unlimited accumulation.
Holidays: 16 paid holidays per year.
Vacation and/or Management Leave Same as Cash: Eligible employees may convert a portion of their accumulated management and/or leave to cash based on certain guidelines. Exempt from FLSA: Not eligible for overtime.
Confidential Pay: Eligible for 3% Unrepresented pay differential.
CalPERS classic members - 2% @ 55 formula
Employees are covered by the Public Employees’ Retirement Systems (PERS). Employees’ seven percent contribution is employee paid. Employee pays 4.855% toward employer portion (cost sharing). This formula has single highest year compensation.
CalPERS PEPRA members (hired from 1/1/2013 and after) - 2% @ 62 formula
Three year average on final compensation. A pensionable income cap of $151,549.
Deferred Compensation Plan
The City will match a contribution of two percent of the employee’s salary into a 401A deferred compensation plan if employee chooses to participate.
Applications will be evaluated to select the best qualified applicants, who may be invited to an Oral Board interview to assess technical proficiency.
Candidates successful in the Oral Board interview will be placed on an eligibility list in rank order of those whose combination of education and experience most closely match the minimum qualifications. The City will then consider candidates from the top ranks of the eligibility list to participate in the hiring process for final selection. Placement on the eligibility list is not a guarantee of proceeding in the recruitment process.
- September 13 through October 11, 2021
Application review will begin on Monday, September 27, 2021.
Oral Board Interview:
- Oral Board interviews will be scheduled for the week of October 25.
- Department Interview will be scheduled for the week of November 1.
Prior to providing a Conditional Offer of employment, the City will conduct a reference check including but not limited to the verification of employment history and education. After a Conditional Offer of employment is made, applicants will be required to complete and pass a pre-employment physical. Additionally, all Conditional Offers of employment are made and contingent upon successful completion of Live Scan Fingerprinting.
Veteran’s Preference – view City Policy at https://www.cityofamericancanyon.org/government/city-hall/human-resources/job-opportunities
Candidates requesting veteran’s preference will be required to provide a copy of U.S. Government Form DD 214 "Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty" to Human Resources before the filing deadline for the position applied for.
Preference afforded via the application screening shall constitute the complete and total extent to which the City of American Canyon will afford veteran preference over other candidates.