The City of Brisbane is currently recruiting Police Officer candidates at the Academy Graduate and Lateral level. Police Officers are responsible for performing a wide variety of law enforcement duties involving the prevention of crime, protection of life and property, and the enforcement of laws and ordinances; controls traffic flow and enforce state and local regulations; perform investigative work and other related police work assignments. Duties and hours will vary with assignments. A full job description is available online at www.brisbaneca.org.
The Brisbane Police Department strives to meet the expectations of our citizens and preserve their quality of life by working under the Community Oriented Policing and Problem Solving (COPPS) strategy, partnering with the community to solve problems. Our dedicated staff consists of 15 sworn positions and 3 non-sworn positions reporting to our Chief of Police. Specialty assignments include School Resources Officer, Traffic Officer, Detective and North County SWAT.
For all candidates:
- Minimum 21 years of age
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident Alien who is eligible and has applied for citizenship
- Graduation from an accredited or approved U.S. high school or equivalent
- Possession of California Driver’s License and able to maintain satisfactory driving record
- Able to meet POST standards of adequate physical stature, endurance and agility.
- Free from felony convictions or domestic violence convictions
Academy Graduates: Possess a certified POST Basic Course Completion Certificate of at least 800 hours issued within the past three years.
Academy Attendee: Currently enrolled in a POST Basic Academy of at least 800 hours as a “non-affiliate.” (Must successfully complete academy to be appointed)
Lateral Candidates: Completion of POST approved basic academy and actively employed by a California Law Enforcement Agency as a Peace Officer within the past 12 months, has successfully completed probation, and possess a POST Basic Certificate of at least 800 hours.
SALARY: $6,963.04 - $7,311.19 - $7,676.74 - $8,060.57 - $8,463.60 per month. Additional 2% COLA increase effective June 30, 2019. Appointments to this classification are normally made at the first step of this five step salary range. Candidates are also eligible for additional salary incentives including Holiday Pay, Education Incentives, and other special assignment pays.
BENEFITS: This position is eligible for benefits under the Brisbane Police Officers Association Memorandum of Understanding.
- Retirement: CalPERS 3%@ 55 for “Classic” members, 2.7%@ 57 for “New” members.
- Health Insurance: Coverage provided by CalPERS Health Program, with premium paid up to family coverage through Cafeteria Plan.
- Dental: Self-insured dental, coverage provided for eligible dependents.
- Vision: VSP, coverage provided for eligible dependents.
- Life Insurance ($150,000 coverage) and Long Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program through MHN
- Employer contribution to choice of 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account Available
- Voluntary Commuter Spending Account
- Vacation and sick leave
- Uniform allowance
Interested candidates must submit a completed on-line CalOpps employment application along with supporting documents as listed below:
- All Candidates: Provide copy of U.S. High School diploma or equivalent.
- Academy Graduates: Submit a copy of your POST Basic Course Completion Certificate of at least 800 hours issued within the past three years.
- Academy Attendee: Submit proof of current enrollment in a POST Basic Academy of at least 800 hours.
- Lateral Candidates: Submit a copy of your POST Basic Course Completion Certificate of at least 800 hours and any other POST certificates you have attained (i.e. Intermediate, Supervisory, etc.)
Please note that the CalOpps website only accepts one attachment with your application so please include all supporting documents into one document. If you are unable to upload all requested documents into the CalOpps website, please submit a complete set of documents via fax (415) 508-1178 or email email@example.com within five (5) days of completing your CalOpps application. Applicants that fail to provide required documents within five (5) days may be disqualified at any time during the process.
Applications will be accepted on a continuous basis until positions are filled.
Applications will be screened for completeness. After an initial screening of applications, those applicants that meet the minimum qualifications and appear to best meet the Department’s need will be invited to participate further in the recruitment process and will be contacted for an oral panel interview. Candidates must receive a score of 70% or higher on the oral interview exam to be placed on the initial eligibility list. A limited number of candidates from the eligibility list will be invited for an interview with the Police Commander and Police Chief. Depending upon the number of candidates in each recruitment set, this process may be altered. After a mutual interest has been established, a thorough background investigation will be conducted, including fingerprinting and a polygraph. Upon successfully passing the background investigation, candidates must successfully complete a psychological evaluation, medical evaluation, including drug testing, and provide proof of legal right to work in the U.S. prior to appointment. The Police Chief will make the final recommendation for appointment.
¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨
The City of Brisbane is an Equal Opportunity Employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other status protected by state, federal or city law in its employment actions, decisions, policies, and practices. The duties described in this job announcement are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This job announcement does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job and benefits available change.