The City of Burlingame is accepting applications for on-call Library Assistant I/II. Apply immediately, position will close upon receipt of the first 100 applications.
The City of Burlingame is accepting applications for an On-Call Library Assistant I/II to work at our Easton Branch. This is a non-benefited position. The candidate will fill staffing vacancies as needed and will be required to work days, evenings, weekends and/or holidays. Schedule may vary and incumbent must be available to work flexible hours.
Under general supervision, incumbents may be assigned to perform duties in one or more of the following service areas.
- Perform the opening and closing of the library for public service.
- Respond to patrons in-person and by telephone regarding requests for library materials, services, and other information.
- Accept donations for library patrons and issues receipts.
- Receive and respond to patron complaints and inquiries regarding overdue materials and lost or damaged materials.
- Register and issue library cards to patrons; check patron status to verify registration information; enter patron information into the appropriate database.
- Operate computer terminal and other standard library office equipment to access and modify various databases.
- Assist patrons with placing holds on library materials and perform hold related functions.
- Check library books and materials in and out using a computerized on-line system.
- Retrieve and shelve books and other materials.
- Unpack and sort book shipments and distribute as indicated; process library materials for circulation.
- Check in library materials from curbside book drop.
Education & Experience:
A High School Diploma or equivalent is required, supplemented by one year of experience performing general clerical or related work in a public library or public service organization.
Apply Immediately, position may close at any time.
All applicant are required to submit a City of Burlingame Employment Application available at www.calopps.org . Applications are also available at City Hall, Human Resources Department, 501 Primrose Road, Burlingame, Ca 94010 or by calling 650-558-7206.
Unless otherwise specified, ALL CORRESPONDENCE WILL BE CONDUCTED VIA THE EMAIL ADDRESS PROVIDED ON YOUR APPLICATION.
Prior to appointment, candidates will be required to:
- pass a fingerprint check submitted to the Department of Justice
- comply with The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 and provide proof of identity and authorization to work in the United States at date of hire
The City of Burlingame is an Equal Opportunity Employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or national origin in its employment actions, decisions, policies, and practices. The duties described in this job announcement are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This job announcement does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
- Library terminology.
- Standard library procedures, policies and organization.
- Library materials and resources.
- Integrated library systems and automatic material handling systems.
- Library functions including circulation, reference, administration and technical services.
- Record keeping and filing systems.
- Computers and Microsoft Office.
- Communicate with the public clearly, accurately and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Perform library clerical work of moderate difficulty.
- Work independently without close supervision or as part of a group or team.
- Provide lead direction to others.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Learn the use of library automation systems automatic materials handling systems, and computer-based technology.
- Provide excellent customer service to the public, citizens, and other City employees.
- Sort or file alphabetically and numerically.
- Maintain records, logs and databases.
- Understand and use Dewey Decimal System.
- Follow written or verbal instructions and procedures.
- Observe safety principles and work in a safe manner.
- Operate a computer and use word processing and spreadsheet software, assisting staff as needed.
Phyisical, Mental and Environmental Working Conditions:
Ability to work in a standard library environment; ability to sit, stand walk, kneel, crouch, squat, reach, lift 50 pounds and push/pull 100 pounds.
Healthy Workplaces/Healthy Families Act of 2014 Paid Sick Leave Benefit. This benefit accrues at the rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked to a maximum benefit of 24 hours per year. There is no cash value associated with benefit. No other benefits are offered. This position is at will and is not part of the City's Civil Service System. There is no guarantee of hours and employment may end at any time.