**This position is open until filled with first review of applications scheduled for Monday, July 23, 2018**
The City of Carmel-by-the-Sea Public Works Department is seeking energetic and dependable individuals who are committed to being a part of a customer service-oriented village. The selected candidate will be expected to perform routine and semi-skilled tree care duties including planting, watering, trimming, pruning, and removing trees; and perform a variety of forestry, parks, and beach maintenance duties. Carmel is a unique urban forest with over 10,000 public trees, a world class beach, sensitive habitats, and a variety of parks, trails, and open spaces.
What You’ll Do:
- Determine limbs to be removed; rig ropes in trees for safest removal of limbs; check clearance to power lines, and ensure public safety before cutting limbs. Climb trees for trimming and pruning.
- Prune trees, plants, and shrubbery to promote health, improve appearance, ensure a safe environment, and provide clearance at sidewalks and signs.
- Plant trees, shrubs, and flowers; spread wood chips, and water and fertilize in accordance with industry standard procedures.
- Remove fallen trees, dead limbs, and other debris resulting from storm damage. Remove invasive plants and ivy.
- Diagnose and treat tree insect and disease problems.
- Inspect City grounds including park trails, playgrounds, and park signs. Install cable fencing and railings.
- Maintain a clean and safe beach free of hazardous materials and trash.
- Perform weed eradication, make minor irrigation repairs, and install erosion control devices.
- Set up traffic control devices.
- Inspect for safety, operate, and maintain forestry equipment including boom lift truck, high ranger, chipper, chain saws, hand saws, pruners, loppers, ropes, tree climbing equipment, and related tools and equipment.
- May support other public works maintenance work including streets, sidewalks, drainage, or facility maintenance.
- And much more!!
Qualifications: Any combination equivalent to experience and training that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities would be:
One year of work experience involving tree maintenance including tree trimming and climbing experience and equivalent to completion of twelfth grade supplemented by specialized training in tree care or landscape maintenance.
This position is open until filled with first review of applications scheduled for Monday, July 23, 2018. To be considered, submit an on-line application and cover letter. Following the deadline, applications will be screened in relation to the criteria indicated in this announcement. Applicants with the most relevant qualifications will be invited to interview.