The City of Carmel-by-the-Sea is currently recruiting for a Maintenance Worker - Gardener. This recruitment will establish an eligibility list that will be used to support a maintenance division within the Public Works Department. This is a semi-skilled manual labor position reporting to the Public Works Superintendent. This position is responsible for performing a wide variety of tasks to maintain the City’s core infrastructure including forest, beach, parks, streets, landscaped medians, sidewalks, traffic control devices, drainage facilities, and building facilities. Work tasks will include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare soil for planting trees, shrubs, annuals, bulbs, and seeds.
- Plant, water, fertilize, prune, and cut trees, landscaping, and ivy.
- Mow, edge, and sweep around landscaping areas.
- Rake and clear weeds from parks, medians, and open space.
- Maintain walkways, paths, and planting areas.
- Remove trash from the beach, parking lots, parks, and sidewalks.
- Install and maintain irrigation system components.
Successful candidates will demonstrate a high level of integrity; be a team player who can work independently and make judgment calls when necessary; and have a collaborative style. Ideal candidates must have a passion for local government and landscaping and forestry, act professionally with the public, and strive to meet city goals and objectives.
Qualifications: Any combination equivalent to experience and training that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities would be qualifying, including at least one year of work experience in landscape maintenance. Possession of a valid driver’s license.
This position is open-until-filled with the first review of applications beginning on January 18. To be considered, please submit an on-line application at https://www.calopps.org/city-of-carmel-by-the-sea. Applications will be screened in relation to the criteria indicated in this announcement. Applicants with the most relevant qualifications will be invited to interview.