The City of Carmel-by-the-Sea is currently recruiting for Maintenance Worker. This recruitment will establish an eligibility list that will be used to fill vacancies in the maintenance division within the Public Works Department. These are semi-skilled, manual labor positions reporting to the Public Works Superintendent. These positions are responsible for performing a wide variety of tasks to maintain the City’s core infrastructure including streets, sidewalks, traffic control devices, drainage facilities, forest, beach, parks, and building facilities. Work tasks will include, but are not limited to:
- Remove, spread, rake, and compact asphalt pavement, berms, and swales.
- Demolish, place rebar, pour, and finish concrete slabs, sidewalks, and curbs.
- Paint traffic markings, stripes, and curbs, and maintain traffic signs.
- Clean out storm drainage inlets, pipes, culverts, and manholes.
- Plant, water, fertilize, prune, and cut trees, landscaping, and ivy.
- Rake, mow, and clear weeds from parks, medians, and open space.
- Remove trash from the beach, parking lots, parks, and sidewalks.
- Repair rail fencing, benches, garbage cans, signs, trash enclosures, etc.
- Assist with minor carpentry, plumbing, electrical, painting, roofing, and related duties.
- Support special events hosted by the City.
Successful candidates will demonstrate a high level of integrity; be a team player who can work independently and make judgment calls when necessary; and have a collaborative style. Ideal candidates must have a desire to work in local government; have a passion for public works and/or construction and maintenance activities; act professionally with the public; and strive to meet City goals and objectives.
Qualifications: Any combination equivalent to experience and training that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities would be qualifying, including at least one year of experience with streets and/or landscape maintenance and/or construction work. Possession of a valid driver’s license.
The position is open-until-filled with the first review of applications beginning on January 18, 2019. To be considered, please submit an on-line application at https://www.calopps.org/city-of-carmel-by-the-sea . Applications will be screened in relation to the criteria indicated in this announcement. Applicants with the most relevant qualifications will be invited to interview.