The City of Carmel-by-the-Sea seeks a highly-motivated, service-oriented team player for the full-time role of Librarian I.
Under general supervision, the selected candidate will perform professional library work in the Harrison Memorial Library, including in the areas of reference, youth services, circulation/outreach services, or local history services as well as other work as assigned. This classification is the entry-level professional librarian. Supervision is received from the heads of technical, reference or children’s services or from the Library Director.
Carmel has been recognized as one of the nation’s most desirable places to visit, work and live. The unparalleled natural beauty, the preservation of the downtown character, clean ocean air, beautiful beach and charming neighborhoods contribute to the quality of life. More information can be found at: https://ci.carmel.ca.us.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class. Employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below. Reasonable accommodations will be made as required. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change at any time by the employer. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist in the review, selection, acquisition, and weeding of materials including books, magazines, audio, and video; continually weed collection, making decisions regarding dated materials and number of copies to retain in collection.
- Participate in the selection of books, audio materials, serials, periodicals, and newspapers; organize, collect, index, and maintain materials for assigned collections.
- Instruct patrons in the use of Library and its resources and equipment.
- Refer library patrons to community as well as other alternate resources not within the Library.
- Assist in children’s and outreach programs.
- Provide reference and reader’s assistance services to patron of all ages.
- Assist in developing displays, tours, or programs.
- Use and assist patrons in using computers and library equipment.
- Provide original and copy cataloging of library acquisitions in a variety of formats using appropriate national standards.
- Assist in managing the library’s digital collections and catalog them in the ILS.
Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited college or university, or any combination equivalent to experience and training that would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
This recruitment is open-until-filled with the first review of applications beginning January 22, 2019. Applications will be screened in relation to the criteria indicated in this announcement.
To be considered for this opportunity:
Submit an application, cover letter, resume and a list of three (3) professional references through CalOpps.org.
Note: References will not be contacted until mutually agreed upon.
Any successful candidate selected by the hiring department may be required to submit proof of education as part of a job offer (i.e., original copy of the diploma or college/university transcripts).
Attention: Communication regarding your status in this recruitment process will be conducted via e-mail. Please be sure to include an e-mail address on the employment application. Applicants are responsible for notifying Human Resources of any changes to an e-mail address and/or other contact information.
This opening was originally posted on January 4, 2019 and reposted on January 15, 2019 in order to reset the document attachment option in CalOpps. All application materials submitted for this position as of January 4 will be reviewed beginning January 22, 2019.
THE CITY OF CARMEL-BY-THE-SEA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND SUPPORTS WORKFORCE DIVERSITY.
The information contained within this announcement may be modified or revoked without notice and does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.