The City of Carmel-by-the-Sea is seeking to fill the position of Librarian I with a friendly, confident and highly-motivated individual who possesses excellent customer service, technical and interpersonal skills.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited college or university
- Experience working in a library highly desirable
- Knowledge of: modern and complex principles and practices of library and information science; procedures, methods and techniques of reference, research, classification, indexing, cataloging, and organization of library materials; and public library materials acquisition, evaluation, and selection standards and procedures
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented with strong customer service skills
- Skilled in communicating clearly and concisely
- Self-assured with the ability to exercise a high degree of common sense and sound judgment
- Dedicated provider of customer service who can meet and deal tactfully and effectively with the public, especially when communicating policies and procedures
The ideal candidate will have experience and enjoy working closely with the public, have a passion for library services, and be technologically savvy.
What You’ll Do
- Assist in the review, selection, acquisition, and weeding of materials including books, magazines, audio, and video; continually weed collection, making decisions regarding dated materials and number of copies to retain in collection.
- Participate in the selection of books, audio materials, serials, periodicals, and newspapers; organize, collect, index, and maintain materials for assigned collections.
- Instruct patrons in the use of Library and its resources and equipment.
- Refer Library patrons to community as well as other alternate resources not within the Library.
- Assist in children’s and outreach programs.
- Provide reference and reader’s assistance services to patron of all ages.
- Assist in developing displays, tours, or programs.
- Use and assist patrons in using computers and Library equipment.
Working approximately 5-15 hours per week, Monday – Sunday, varying hours, at either or both of the Carmel Public Library’s locations: the Harrison Memorial Library, located on the corner of Lincoln Street and Ocean Avenue and/or the Park Branch, located on the corner of Mission Street and Sixth Avenue. This is a temporary, hourly, at-will position with no benefits. The hours will vary week to week and may be limited.
Temporary/hourly employees may not work more than 1,000 hours per fiscal year. Temporary/hourly employees are not eligible for benefits but will receive sick leave in accordance with State law.
To be considered, please submit an on-line application at https://www.calopps.org/carmel-by-the-sea/job-19913548. Applications will be screened in relation to the criteria indicated in this announcement.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and whose qualifications most closely align with those needed for the position will be invited to interview.
Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on the close date: Sunday, October 6, 2019.
Carmel-by-the-Sea is an equal employment opportunity employer and encourages all qualified individuals to submit an application for this opportunity. The information contained within this announcement may be modified or revoked without notice and does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.
Location: Carmel Public Library - Harrison Memorial Library and/or Park Branch, City of Carmel-by-the-Sea, 93921
Recruitment Contact: Jane Wilson T (831) 620-2017 E firstname.lastname@example.org