The City of Carmel-by-the-Sea is seeking to fill the position of Library Assistant with a friendly, confident and highly-motivated individual who possesses excellent customer service, technical, and interpersonal skills.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- One year of work experience which involves meeting and dealing and dealing with the public, preferably in a library setting
- Equivalent to the completion of the 12th grade
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented with strong customer service skills
- Skilled in communicating clearly and concisely
- Self-assured with the ability to exercise a high degree of common sense and sound judgment
- Dedicated provider of customer service who can meet and deal tactfully and effectively with the public, especially when communicating policies and procedures
The ideal candidate will have experience and enjoy working closely with the public, have a passion for library services, and be technologically savvy.
What You’ll Do
- Perform routine circulation and data entry duties using a computerized circulation system including checking out books and other library materials, registering patrons, updating patron accounts, and performing basic on‑line computer searches.
- Process requests and issue Library cards.
- Provide general assistance to Library patrons within the scope of knowledge; refer patrons requiring additional assistance.
- Perform searches for books and materials; reserve material for patrons.
- Sort, organize, shelve, and file Library books, periodicals, and materials in accordance with Dewey Decimal and alphabetic classification systems.
- Read, shift, and straighten materials on shelves and in files.
- Receive, stamp, pull, and replace daily newspapers in accordance with established procedures.
- Pull and route materials in need of mending, binding, repairing or discarding; repair and mend books, periodicals and other Library materials.
- Perform a variety of sorting and loading responsibilities; unpack books in cataloging section; add cards for new books, and remove weeded books.
- Assist with special programs and projects including making signs and putting up bulletin boards; ensure appearance and accuracy of bulletin boards; make cards, labels, notices, and posters.
- Perform a variety of miscellaneous clerical duties including preparing, stamping, and distributing mail and answering the telephone.
- Receive, process and route Library materials.
- Perform a variety of technical duties including cataloging, adding records, cleaning the database, and processing all Library materials.
- Prepare summary activity reports including circulation statistics, mending statistics, user and loan survey reports, and materials collections lists.
- Train and assist Library patrons in use of the Public Access Catalog and Library computer equipment.
- Perform technical services tasks such as acquisitions, processing, data input, collection maintenance and filing.
- Create and maintain bibliographic and holding records for books and other Library material.
- Process and maintain the periodical collection for the Library; maintain appropriate records.
- Prepare overdue notices and maintain registration files; prepare billing for overdue Library materials; refer delinquent accounts to credit bureau for collection.
- Compile statistics and maintain records.
Working approximately 5-15 hours per week, Monday – Sunday, varying hours, at either or both of the Carmel Public Library’s locations: the Harrison Memorial Library, located on the corner of Lincoln Street and Ocean Avenue and the Park Branch, located on the corner of Mission Street and Sixth Avenue.
This is a temporary/hourly, at-will position with no benefits. The hours will vary week to week and may be limited.
Temporary/hourly employees may not work more than 1,000 hours per fiscal year. Temporary/hourly employees are not eligible for benefits but will receive sick leave in accordance with State law.
To be considered, please submit an on-line application at https://www.calopps.org/carmel-by-the-sea/job-19913568. Applications will be screened in relation to the criteria indicated in this announcement.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and whose qualifications most closely align with those needed for the position will be invited to interview.
Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on the close date: Sunday, October 6, 2019.
Carmel-by-the-Sea is an equal employment opportunity employer and encourages all qualified individuals to submit an application for this opportunity. The information contained within this announcement may be modified or revoked without notice and does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.
Location: Carmel Public Library - Harrison Memorial Library and/or Park Branch, City of Carmel-by-the-Sea, 93921
Recruitment Contact: Jane Wilson T (831) 620-2017 E firstname.lastname@example.org