The City of Chowchilla is seeking a Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator III, a lead position, to assist in the operation and maintenance of the City's wastewater treatment and collection system under general supervision of the Utilities Systems Supervisor and/or Director of Public Works.
THE TREATMENT PLANT AND COLLECTION SYSTEM
The City of Chowchilla wastewater treatment plant is a 1.8 MGD activated sludge treatment plant serving a population of approximately 13,000, running at 6-% capacity. It includes wastewater treatment, aerobic sludge digestion and gravity dewatering. The collection system consists of nearly 25 miles of gravity pipes and 3 miles of force main fed by three lift stations.
A series of substantial projects to increase plant capacity and efficiency are planned over the next few years, beginning with a photovoltaic installation in the next 12 months. Upgrades to mechanical equipment in concert with control and information systems upgrade will increase efficiency and capacity. The incumbent will have the opportunity work with experts and provide input during and planning and construction of these improvements.
WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT OPERATOR III
This position is a full time, advanced journey-level position AND functions as the lead worker. This individual will coordinate and perform the full range of skilled duties to operator, maintain, repair and modify the wastewater treatment plant and the wastewater collection system.
The position reports to the Chief Waste Water Plant Operator and plays an influential role in determining equipment, personnel and material needs. The Wastewater System Worker III may be required to oversee waste water operations and staff and be designated Chief Plant Operator pursuant to California Code of Regulations, Title 23, Division 3, Chapter 26, if qualified.
WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT OPERATOR III
To be eligible for this position, a candidate must possess of a State Water Resources Control Board Grade III Wastewater License or the ability to obtain a Grade III Water Treatment Plant Operations Certificate within 6 months of hire. Candidate must also possess a valid class "C" California Driver's License by time of appointment.
Due to the 9-Hour plant operation requirement, the selected candidate must have the ability to , respond on weekends or holidays, and the ability to report to the work-site within forty (40) minutes after receiving notification of being called back.
- Operating of valves and other related controls to distribute flow through unit process and application of chlorine and chemicals to the wastewater.
- Monitoring control equipment such as pumps, motors, valves, blowers, sludge collectors, heat exchangers, sludge thickeners and other related process equipment.
- Maintaining a daily records of facility operation, samples collected and corrections to unit processes.
- Making adjustments or alterations to chemical treatment of the plant as necessary.
- Collecting samples for observation and analysis from unit processes.
- Performing daily and weekly laboratory analysis as needed for process adjustments and performance indicators.
- Operating a wide variety of tools and equipment used in minor mechanical repair and operation of process equipment.
- Making minor repairs to all process equipment as needed.
- Performing related duties as required.
- Lead, assigns, operates, inspects, cleans, repairs, replaces and maintains and repairs in and around plant facilities, operates vehicles and other equipment.
- Conducts onsite inspections of plan operation, insuring that operations problems are identified and correct; insures that plants are operating within safety standards established by federal state and local laws, ordinances and regulations; provides training for less experienced personnel.
- Performs basic skilled water pollution control laboratory testing and analysis; monitors the operation of industrial waste instrumentation for proper monitoring; adhere to quality assurance programs for laboratory analysis and instrumentation.
- Prepares and updates reports, including records and logs in compliance with state and federal mandates for reporting.
- May assist in sewer collection maintenance and cleaning activities and utilities marking as needed.
- Assist in the training and supervision of lower level personnel.
- Established positive working relationships with representatives of community organizations, state/local agencies and associates, City Administrator and staff, and the public.
- Performs mathematical calculations for adjustments of plant system.
- Performs duties of the plant Supervisor in absence of same.
- Respond to emergency conditions on a 24-hour bsais, including holidays.
IN ADDITION, THE SELECTED CANDIDATE WILL HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF
- Basic principles and procedures of wastewater treatment, with specific emphasis on procedures involved in operations and maintenance of percolation ponds and secondary treatment plants.
- Basin principles and procedures of wastewater and storm water collection systems.
- Methods, materials and equipment used in the operation and maintenance of a wastewater treatment facility.
- Basic laboratory procedures and analysis.
- Safe work practices.
- Basic computer skills and knowledge of SCADA systems.
OTHER ABILITIES INCLUDE
- Perform routine mathematical calculations.
- Follow oral and written directions.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships.
- Operate heavy equipment.
- Life, carry, push and pull items in excess of 100 lbs.
- Maintain a constant awareness of safety hazards and potential danger.
- Tolerate heat, sun, rain, cold, fog, insects, dust, heavy physical labor and hazardous conditions.
- Operate a wide variety of equipment, machinery and tools used in water treatment and collection system construction, maintenace and repair in a safe and effective manner.
- Assist managing staff including prioritizing and assigning work .
- Identify the steps for system management including process prioritizing initiatives and provide a framework for measuring progress and success.
- Assist with operating and capital budget preparation.
- Demonstrate ability to plan, direct, and coordinate complex maintenance, and maintenance management projects and programs.
- Propose cost effective technical solutions to address challenges such as improvement of processes, systems and standards.
Qualifications include any combination of experience and education that satisfies the State Water Resources Control Board for certification of the required knowledge, sill and abilities.
- Holidays: The City recognizes 11 days each calendar year plus 1 floating holiday.
- Vacation: Employees earn 3.70 hours of vacation per pay period for the first three years and increases to the maximum of 9.23 hours per pay period.
- Sick Leave: 3.70 hours earned per pay period with no maximum accrual cap.
- Retirement: Depending on your CalPERS history, 2%@60; or, 2%@62. Employee pays entire share. The City does not participate in Social Security.
- Health Insurance: Employee pays a portion for employee and dependent coverage of medical, dental, health and life insurance.
- Medicare: City pays 1.45% of salary; employee pays 1.45% of salary.
- SDI: 1% of salary paid by employee.
- Deferred Compensation: CalPERS 457 Deferred Compensation program is available for employee participation.
- Additional: Longevity pay based on years of service; City pays all state mandated training and licenses.
Candidates must submit application materials that include a complete and signed employment application, DMV print-out, and copies of the required certificates listed under PREREQUISITES in the Job Description. The materials can be uploaded to the online application through CalOPPS; or, mailed or hand=delivered to Chowchilla City Hall, Human Resources, 130 S. Second St., Chowchilla, CA 93610, or emailed to CityClerk@CityOfChowchilla.org or faxed to (559) 665-7418.
Candidates considered to be best qualified based on the information provided will move forward in the recruitment process. The applicant who is ultimately chosen for the position will have to pass a background check, drug test and physical exam.