Streets & Construction Worker I
$17.34 -$22.20 per hour
Streets & Construction Worker II
$20.11 - $25.74 per hour
The City of Chowchilla is seeking a Streets & Construction I & II, under general supervision, to perform a variety of semi-skilled and skilled tasks in the maintenance and repair of streets, sidewalks, gutters, facilities, trees and other public service activities, and to perform related work as required.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
Streets & Construction Worker I:
This is an entry-level class under close supervision, performs any combination of the following duties on construction projects, usually working in utility capacity, by transferring from one task to another where demands require worker with varied experience and ability. Work is usually performed with other workers. This class may advance to Streets & Construction Worker II after gaining experience and demonstrating proficiency to meet the qualification of the higher-level class.
Prerequisites: Any combination equivalent to graduation from high school (or G.E.D equivalent to graduation) and two years’ experience performing a variety of skilled and semi-skilled construction and/or maintenance involving buildings, grounds, streets and sidewalks.
Streets & Construction Worker II:
This is a skilled-level classification. Under general supervision incumbent performs the full range of assigned duties. This class acts a lead on small crews but is distinguished from Streets/Construction Worker III, which is the lead-level class, responsible for providing direction for crews engaged in the maintenance and repair of streets, storm drains, related structures and signing and striping work. This class may advance to the Streets/Construction Worker III after demonstrating proficiency to meet the qualifications of the higher-level class.
Prerequisites: Any combination equivalent to graduation from high school (or G.E.D equivalent to graduation) and four years’ experience performing a variety of skilled and semi-skilled construction and/or maintenance involving buildings, grounds, streets and sidewalks.
Qualifications/Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of: English language, math, streets and construction material, tools, equipment; techniques used in construction, maintenance and repair of equipment and materials, motor vehicle laws, operation of light to heavy equipment used in construction, repair and maintenance of streets and parks; safe working practices utilized in construction and maintenance; maintaining trees, shrubs, flowers, turf, tools, materials and equipment used in streets and sidewalk maintenance and repair work.
- Skills in: Internal and external communications, concrete laying/cutting/repair/forms/finishing, operating heavy equipment, street repair and material handling, tree trimming, traffic control, installation and repair of street signs, remodeling projects; all aspects of street and construction repair/work.
- Ability to: Maintain city parks, roadway, traffic lights, storm drains, building and other city-owned facilities, maintain basic records and files; perform a variety of difficult and complex gardening, parks, street and building maintenance work, perform activities requiring strength and agility, work at heights and in close quarters; moderately heavy power grounds streets repair and building maintenance equipment, perform heavy manual labor, follow verbal and written directions, establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others, read and write at the level required for successful job performance.
Essential functions of the position include but not limited to:
- Managing resources, including vehicles and equipment used in streets and construction, plant and tree supplies and maintenance records, portable generator, reports, forms, maps, plans, blueprints; Solving problems such as emergency leaks and ruptures of irrigation pipes
- Holidays - The City recognizes 11 days each calendar year plus 2 floating holidays.
- Vacation - Employees earn 3.70 hours of vacation per pay period for the first three years and increases to the maximum of 9.23 hours per pay period.
- Sick Leave - 3.70 hours earned per pay period with no maximum accrual cap.
- Retirement - Employees are members of the California Public Employees Retirement System CalPERS). The city does not participate in Social Security.
- Health Insurance - Employee pays a portion for employee and dependent coverage of medical, dental, health and life insurance.
- Medicare - City pays 1.45% of salary; employee pays 1.45% of salary.
- SDI - 1% of salary paid by employee.
- Additional - CalPERS 457 Deferred Compensation program is available for employee participation. Longevity pay based on years of service; City pays all state mandated training and licenses.
Candidates are encouraged to submit an application, any related documents, and any required certification(s) if applicable, through www.CalOpps.org. Applications are available at www.CalOpps.org and from the City website at www.CityofChowchilla.org; or, mailed or hand-delivered to Chowchilla City Hall, Human Resources, 130 S. Second St., Chowchilla, CA 93610, or emailed to CityClerk@CityOfChowchilla.org.
The City of Chowchilla is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, political affiliation, age, marital status, medical condition, or disability. The City of Chowchilla makes reasonable accommodations for the disabled. If you believe you require special accommodations in the testing process, you must inform the City of Chowchilla in writing prior to the testing. Applicants that request such accommodations must document their request with an explanation of the type and extent of accommodations required.
Candidates considered to be best qualified based on the information provided will move forward in the recruitment process. The applicant who is ultimately chosen for the position will have to pass a background check, drug test and physical exam.
The provisions in this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked at any time.