“This is a continuous recruitment which can be closed at any time without notice.”
The City of Chowchilla is seeking a part time Transit Driver I / Dispatcher,
Candidate must have basic arithmetic skills, speak both English and basic Spanish and have general office procedures knowledge .
The preferred candidate will have a proficient knowledge of the geographical layout of the City of Chowchilla including major streets, public places and landmarks, and general locations within the City’s Sphere of Influence and be capable of maintaining a mental image of the location of all in-service transit vehicles. The candidate must have knowledge of telephone and two-way radio operations and procedures; must know provisions of the California Motor Vehicle Code that are applicable to the operations of passenger-carrying vehicles; possess safe driving practice; and possess a basic first aid certification.
Candidate must be able to drive a passenger-carrying bus safely and efficiently; understand and carry out verbal and written instructions; maintain accurate records; think clearly and quickly; be able to use dispatching software and establish and maintain cooperative working relations with City staff, senior citizens, adults, children and persons with disabilities; be able to read and write competently ; speak and communicate effectively in both English and basic Spanish.
The candidate may be exposed to heat, cold, fog and rain, sneezing and coughing passengers, passengers experiencing motion sickness, caustic and corrosive chemicals, and instances to assist persons with a disability. Candidate will be required to maintain the interior and exterior of transit vehicles.
Prerequisites include any combination equivalent to experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the job duties. A typical way to obtain knowledge, skill, and ability would be:
A combination of education and/or experience equivalent to completion of high school (GED acceptable) and two years of experience operating a transit bus; a good driving record; and the ability to speak and understand basic Spanish.
- Must be over the Age of 21
- Possession of a valid class B California driver's license with a P (Passengers) endorsement
- Possession of a GPPV (General Public Para Vehicle), VTT (Verification of Transit Training) Certification, and special License granted by the California Highway Patrol Department of Motor Vehicles
- Possession of a DOT Medical Examination Certificate
- Possession of a First Aid Certificate
- Provide an H-6 printout from DVM
General and Specialized Job Knowledge and Abilities
Qualification/Requirements to perform this job successfully require an individual to be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable persons with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge of basic arithmetic, English and basic Spanish, and general office procedures.
Specialized Knowledge of the location of major streets, public places, and landmarks within the Chowchilla; telephone and two-way radio operations and procedures; safe driving practices; provisions of the California Motor Vehicle Code applicable to the operation of passenger-carrying vehicles; first aid practices; streets, landmarks and geographical layout of the City of Chowchilla area.
Ability to fulfill each of the following position duties.
- Transit Diver - Drive a passenger-carrying bus safely and efficiently; understand and carry out verbal and written instructions; maintain accurate records; be able to use dispatching software; establish and maintain cooperative working relations with other City staff, senior citizens, adults, children, and persons with disabilities; read and write competently; speak and communicate effectively in both English and basic Spanish.
- Transit Dispatcher - Keep accurate and legible records; be able to use dispatching software; think clearly and quickly; maintain a mental image of the location of all transit vehicles; speak and enunciate clearly; operate two-way radio and telephone equipment; remain in a seated position for prolonged periods of time; hear clearly and speak to callers on the telephone and drivers on the radio; speak and communicate effectively in both English and basic Spanish; deal courteously, effectively, and cooperatively with the public.
Possess skills to be able to calculate fares and miscellaneous cash, handle two-way radios, and produce trip logs and bus manifest. Be able to resolve conflicts with disgruntled customers, coordinate schedules with transit vehicles and drivers, and identify efficient work methods. Be able to provide supervision of Transit drivers and passengers and provide functional control of passengers. Have average hand/eye coordination and the ability to drive while talking. Be able to exert moderate physical skills in assisting riders, and have the ability to lift and move weights of at least 50 pounds.
- Holidays: The City recognizes 11 days each calendar year plus 2 floating holiday
- Vacations: Employees receive 12 days of vacation per year for the first three years of employment. This increases in increments to a maximum of 30 days for 25+ years of employment with maximum accrual caps for each increment.
- Sick Leave: 3.70 hours earned per pay period
- Retirement: The City Participates in CalPERS
- Health Insurance: Employee pays a portion for employee and dependent coverage of medical, dental, health and life insurance.
- Medicare: City pays 1.45% of salary; employee pays 1.45% of salary.
- SDI: 1% of salary paid by employee
- Deferred Compensation: CalPERS 457 Deferred Compensation program is available for employee participation.
- Additional: Longevity pay based on years of service; City pays all state mandated training and licenses.
The City of Chowchilla is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, political affiliation, age, marital status, medical condition, or disability. The City of Chowchilla makes reasonable accommodations for the disabled. If you believe you require special accommodations in the testing process, you must write the City of Chowchilla before the testing. Applicants who request such accommodations must document their request by explaining the required type and extent of accommodations.
Candidates considered best qualified based on the information provided will move forward in the recruitment process.
The provisions in this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked at any time
contract. Any provision contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked at any time.