The City of Chowchilla is seeking a Streets & Construction III, under general direction, to serve in a lead capacity and perform a variety of semi-skilled and skilled task in the maintenance and repair of grounds, streets, properties, facilities, trees and other public service activities, and to perform related work as required.
Streets & Construction Worker III
This is a full journey-level classification. Incumbent functions as a lead worker and may be assigned to supervise Streets & Construction Worker I and II employees. Employees at this level receive only occasional instruction or assistance as new or unusual situations arise, and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work unit.
Prerequisites: Any combination equivalent to graduation from high school (or GED equivalent to graduation) and three (3) years of responsible maintenance or construction experience. Must possess a valid Class C California Driver License and able to obtain a Class A California Driver License as needed.
Qualifications/Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of: English language, math, streets and construction material, tools, equipment; techniques used in construction, maintenance and repair of equipment and materials, motor vehicle laws, operation of light to heavy equipment used in construction, repair and maintenance of streets and parks; safe working practices utilized in construction and maintenance; maintaining trees, shrubs, flowers, turf, tools, materials and equipment used in streets and sidewalk maintenance and repair work.
- Skills in: Internal and external communications, concrete laying/cutting/repair/forms/finishing, operating heavy equipment, street repair and material handling, tree trimming, traffic control, installation and repair of street signs, remodeling projects; all aspects of street and construction repair/work.
- Ability to: Maintain city parks, roadway, traffic lights, storm drains, building and other city-owned facilities, maintain basic records and files; perform a variety of difficult and complex gardening, parks, street and building maintenance work, perform activities requiring strength and agility, work at heights and in close quarters; moderately heavy power grounds streets repair and building maintenance equipment, perform heavy manual labor, follow verbal and written directions, establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others, read and write at the level required for successful job performance.
Essential functions of the position include:
- Managing resources, including vehicles and equipment used in streets and construction, plant and tree supplies and maintenance records, portable generator, reports, forms, maps, plans, blueprints;
- Solving problems such as emergency leaks and ruptures of irrigation pipes
- Holidays - The City recognizes 11 days each calendar year plus 2 floating holidays.
- Vacation - Employees earn 3.70 hours of vacation per pay period for the first three years and increases to the maximum of 9.23 hours per pay period.
- Sick Leave - 3.70 hours earned per pay period with no maximum accrual cap.
- Retirement -Employees are members of the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS). The City does not participate in Social Security.
- Health Insurance -Employee pays a portion for employee and dependent coverage of medical, dental, health and optional voluntary life insurance. The City pays for life insurance.
- Medicare - City pays 1.45% of salary; employee pays 1.45% of salary.
- SDI - 1% of salary paid by employee.
- Deferred Compensation - CalPERS 457 Deferred Compensation program is available for employee participation.
- Additional - Longevity pay based on years of service; City pays all state mandated training and licenses.
Prerequisites: Any combination equivalent to graduation from high school (or GED equivalent to graduation) and three (3) years of responsible maintenance or construction experience. Must possess a valid Class C California Driver License and obtain a Class A California Driver License within 12 months of employment.