The City of Citrus Heights is seeking one (1) Full-time Custodian to perform the duties required ensuring that City buildings and facilities provide the highest level of cleanliness and safety for public and staff use.
The Custodian position will be assigned to the Facility and Grounds Division. The Custodian is responsible for performing in an assigned area and may involve working around other City staff and/or the public, depending upon assignment. Under general supervision, performs the full range of custodial duties related to the care, routine maintenance, and cleaning of assigned buildings and facilities; moves furniture and equipment to set up and tear down for classes, activities, and functions; interacts with and provides basic information and assistance to the public; and performs related work as required.
A summary of the minimum qualifications for the position is listed below.
Experience and Training: One year of experience performing routine building custodial and maintenance work.
Education: Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
License: Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver’s license and proof of automobile liability insurance are required.
Schedule and Examination/Selection Process
The City reserves the right to select applicants for further consideration who demonstrate the best qualifications match for the position. Meeting the required minimum qualifications does not guarantee an applicant an invitation to the next step(s) in the selection process. Only the most qualified applicants as determined by the City may be invited to the next step(s) of the process. Those candidates whose experience and training most closely match the City’s needs may be invited to participate in a first interview and potentially a second interview. The finalist identified at the departmental interview will be subject to a thorough background and reference check process, including a Live Scan fingerprint criminal history check and must pass a medical examination (including drug test) conducted by a City-appointed physician. If this is successfully completed, a final offer of employment may be made.
Method of Communication
Primary communication regarding your status relative to this recruitment will be by e-mail; applicants are solely responsible for monitoring their e-mail communication messages and systems.
Applicants are solely responsible for informing the City of changes in contact information, including but not limited to e-mail addresses, mailing addresses, post office boxes, and telephone numbers.
- Use and operate a variety of custodial equipment, including high-pressure washer, vacuum cleaner, wet/dry vacuum, carpet extractor, buffer, mop, and broom.
- Clean and care for assigned areas and equipment.
- Work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Travel to different sites and locations.
- Meet and deal tactfully and effectively with the public.
- Correctly interpret and apply the policies, procedures, and regulations pertaining to assigned programs and functions.
- Use a variety of small hand tools.
- Operate a variety of audio/visual equipment including TV, VCR, sound systems, portable public address system, slide projector, overhead projector, and portable mobile screen as requested.
- Operate modern office equipment.
- Maintain basic records.
- Follow department policies and procedures related to assigned duties.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical deadlines.
- Use English effectively to communicate in person, over the telephone, and in writing.
- Use, tact, initiative, prudence, and independent judgment within general policy, procedural, and legal guidelines.
- Provide high quality, economical services to the Citrus Heights community, placing emphasis on responsive customer service.
- Demonstrate a civic entrepreneurial spirit by generating new, innovative ideas and development of better methods to accomplish tasks and complete projects.
The hiring salary may be set anywhere within the salary range, based on a candidate’s experience. The City offers first class benefits, including: CalPERS retirement (employee pays full member contribution), 136 hours of Annual Leave (to be used for vacation or sick time); 40 hours of Long Term Medical Leave; a substantial monthly City contribution toward health insurance, and if alternative group health care coverage is demonstrated, a $600/month cash-out may be added to salary or deferred compensation; and fully paid family dental, family vision, life, and long-term disability insurance. The City does not participate in Social Security but does participate in Medicare and State Disability Insurance (SDI).