The City of Citrus Heights seeks a detail-oriented, highly organized and versatile individual to serve as the Senior Accountant – Auditor. The position performs the full range of professional accounting, financial and auditing duties utilizing generally accepted accounting principles for government agencies. The position is responsible for coordinating the information necessary to complete financial reports including but not limited to the annual audit and the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR). In addition, the position performs yearlong monitoring and analysis of budget-to-actual activities for both operational and capital budgets.
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
Experience: Three years of increasingly responsible professional level experience in auditing, accounting or finance related operations.
Education: Equivalent to the completion of the Bachelor’s degree with major course work in business administration, accounting, finance, public administration or a related field.
License or Certificate: May need to possess a valid California driver’s license and proof of automobile liability insurance as required by the position.
The City reserves the right to select applicants for further consideration who demonstrate the best qualifications match for the position. Meeting the required minimum qualifications does not guarantee an applicant an invitation to the next step(s) in the selection process. Only the most qualified applicants as determined by the City may be invited to the next step(s) of the process. Those candidates whose experience and training most closely match the City’s needs may be invited to participate in a first interview and potentially a second interview. The finalist(s) identified at the departmental interview may be subject to a thorough background and reference check process, including a Live Scan fingerprint criminal history check. Upon completion of this interview and background process, the finalist must pass a medical examination (including drug test) conducted by a City-appointed physician.
Method of Communication
Primary communication regarding your status relative to this recruitment will be by e-mail; applicants are solely responsible for monitoring their e-mail communication messages and systems.
- Applicants are solely responsible for informing the City of changes in contact information, including but not limited to e-mail addresses, mailing addresses, post office boxes, and telephone numbers.
You may obtain additional information about this recruitment at http://jobs.citrusheights.net, or email email@example.com. Contact Human Resources at (916) 727-4731 or calling the TTY/TDD California Relay Service at 7-1-1.
In addition to being ethical, well qualified, and experienced, the Senior Accountant Auditor for the City of Citrus Heights must have certain traits that will be essential for success in the following:
- Has the ability to prepare routine reports, coordinate and oversee time sensitive and cyclical accounting functions.
- Has knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles related to municipal governmental finance; internal controls appropriate to accounting procedures.
- Possesses the ability to plan, prioritize, assign, supervise and review the work of staff involved in assigned operations.
- Has the ability to complete with audit functions and special reviews; provide research; report findings; perform special projects; and, participate in meetings or committees, as assigned.
- Demonstrates the ability to perform duties required as part of the annual audit.
- Has the ability to maintain the general ledger posting processes.
- Coordinates grant accounting and preparation of annual Schedule of Expenditures of Federal Awards (SEFA).
- Demonstrates the ability to prepare financial reports.
- Has knowledge of grant monitoring and reporting.
- Demonstrates the ability to read, interpret and prepare investment reports.
- Has the experience required to review accounts payables, receivables and payroll reports for accuracy and precise accounting postings.
- Demonstrates the ability to participate in budget preparation and administration; prepare cost estimates for budget recommendations; submit justifications for projects, equipment, and staff; and monitor and control expenditures.
- Has knowledge of pertinent local, State and Federal laws, ordinances, City functions, policies, rules and regulations related to fund accounting and auditing work.
- Builds and maintains positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Treats all individuals encountered equally and with respect, basing actions on honor and ethics.
The hiring salary may be set anywhere within the salary range, based on a candidate’s experience. The City offers first class benefits, including: CalPERS retirement (employee pays full member contribution), 136 hours of Annual Leave (to be used for vacation or sick time); 40 hours of Long Term Medical Leave; a substantial monthly City contribution toward health insurance, and if qualifying alternative group health care coverage is demonstrated, a $600/month cash-out may be added to salary or deferred compensation; and fully paid family dental, family vision, employee life and long-term disability insurance. The City does not participate in Social Security but does participate in Medicare and State Disability Insurance (SDI).
In addition, the Senior Accountant – Auditor is a part of the City’s management team; the position receives 80-hours of Management Leave, a $100,000 life insurance policy, and up to a 3% City-matching 457 deferred compensation contribution.