Incorporated in 1887, the City of Colton is an “American Classic” with a proud history. Covering an area of approximately 18 square miles with a current population of over 54,621, Colton is located in the East San Bernardino Valley, in the middle of the Inland Empire. Colton operates as a general law city, governed by a mayor (elected at large) and six Council Members elected by districts. The City employs approximately 373 full and part-time staff. City services include public safety (fire, police and emergency medical services); planning and inspection services; development services; a full range of human services (recreation for all ages, library services, child care, youth and family support programs); public works/utilities (electric, water, sewer); economic development and management services, which provides support to all departments.