The Town of Colma is currently hiring part-time Recreation Leaders to join our team!
Do you have a passion for working with children?
Are you available to work varying shifts?
If so, apply today!
The Recreation Services Department provides programs and activities for Colma residents of all ages ranging from infants to seniors. Program elements include fitness, enrichment, cultural events, special events, sporting events, trips and community events. It is the goal of the Recreation Services Department to offer a balanced program ensuring all elements are offered to all age groups throughout the year.
At the Town of Colma, we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. To us, equal opportunity employment is not just about compliance, it’s about who you are, how you can help our Town and who you want to be. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and residents.
WHAT DOES A RECREATION LEADER DO?
- Assists in organizing and supervising recreational programs in any one or more of the following areas: children, adults, senior citizens and participants with special needs at playgrounds, community centers, and other recreational areas
- Assists in the implementation of a specific recreational program with guidance of the Recreation Coordinator
- Assists in maintaining discipline and encourage observance of required safety precautions
- Assists in working with special community groups
- Acts as liaison between participants and instructors/staff
- Assists supervisor in securing materials, supplies and equipment
- Leads participants on group outings and field trips
- May chaperone participants during transport
- May provide information to other departments and the public relating to program activities
- May provide light janitorial and light maintenance services
- Maintains records of participation, supplies and equipment
- Reports injuries and accidents
- Responds appropriately to emergencies including the application of basic first aid
- Enforces Town of Colma departmental policies
- Performs routine clerical tasks
- Participates as part of the recreation team
- Exhibits and encourage behavior that is consistent with the Town’s risk management program and decrease risk of accident or injury to self, employees, residents, visitors and their property
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Represent the Town in a positive manner
- Establish, maintain and foster cooperative working relations with others from diverse backgrounds, including elected officials, co-workers and the public effectively and with courtesy, in person, via e-mail and over the phone
- Follow written and oral instructions and procedures
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, by using proper English grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Learn and interpret specific rules and policies and apply them with good judgment
- Understand and work effectively with the public
- Direct, teach and communicate effectively with children
- Supervise large groups
- Facilitate rentals at Recreation and Community Center
- Maintain harmonious working relationships with other employees, participants and the public
- Learn Recreation software
- Deal effectively with a wide variety of personalities in situations requiring diplomacy, friendliness, poise and tact
- Work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends
- Work independently
- Solve most work problems independently, referring unusual situations and questions to supervisor especially those matters regarding policy decisions
- Perform light janitorial and maintenance duties
Must maintain CPR/First Aid certificates within 60 days of hire.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Attending High School
- Desire to work, guide and lead school age children
- Volunteer hours (preferred)
- Leader in Training hours (preferred)
Part-time/temporary "casual" employees accrue one hour of sick leave per every 30 hours worked up to an accrual cap of 48 hours or six days.
Interested candidates must submit a completed online employment application in CalOpp.org. Resumes in lieu of a completed application will not be accepted. Applications can be obtained online at https://www.calopps.org/town-of-colma.
Applicants will be assessed on the application submitted. Applicants may be screened to the most qualified and invited to the next step in the recruitment process which may include a panel interview. The list established for this recruitment may be used to fill any current or future vacancies accordingly.
Apply immediately! Recruitment may close at any time.
Human Resources has the right to revise this process as needed based on business needs.
Prior to appointment, the final candidates must pass a TB skin test. Final candidates over the age of 18 must receive favorable results for fingerprint submission from the Department of Justice. For those candidates who are under the age of 18 at time of appointment, fingerprint submission to the Department of Justice will be processed after reaching age 18.