Salary: $15.33 - $16.58 per hour
Under general supervision this position involves supervising a comprehensive aquatics program
at a community swimming center.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (include but are not limited to the following)
• Supervise aquatic activities to include swim lessons, recreational swim and related activities.
• Plan instructional classes for various skill levels.
• Promote the aquatics program to the community.
• Plan and direct a continuing aquatic safety program.
• Assist with in-service training and selection of aquatics staff.
• Inspect facility for safety and maintenance needs.
• Monitor filtration system and chemical levels.
• Maintain program records.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
Any combination or education and experience that has provided the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary.
A typical way of obtaining the required qualifications is to: Possess a high school diploma or equivalent, two years of college supplemented by specialized training in recreation, physical education or a related field
and three (3) years of increasingly responsible experience in a comprehensive aquatics program with one (1) year of program supervision.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, the following American Red Cross Certificates: Standard First Aid, Advanced Lifesaving, Water Safety Instructor, and Cardio-pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
- Possession of a valid Class “C” California Driver’s License.
- Objectives and philosophy of recreation and its application to individual and group
- behavior with particular emphasis to aquatic programming.
- Program promotion and marketing.
- Pool maintenance and safety procedures.
- Organize and conduct various age groups in swimming from beginning through advanced
- Display personal skill in leadership and supervision of aquatic personnel.
- Communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.
- Maintain accurate financial records and receipts.
- Develop and recommend new and revised procedures and policies.
- Effectively operate a motor vehicle on City streets.
- Operate computer and applicable software.
Part-Time Position, No Benefits Assigned.
Please attach all required certifications:
- American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI).
- American Red Cross Lifeguarding.
- American Red Cross First Aid and CPR for Lifeguards.
PLEASE SELECT THE LINKS BELOW FOR INFORMATION REGARDING CERTIFICATION CLASSES:
- http://www.ci.colton.ca.us/index.aspx?NID=271 (LG Only)
- https://www.fontana.org/2566/Fontana-Park-Aquatic-Center (LG and WSI)
- https://drayson.llu.edu/aquatics/lifeguardwsi-training (LG and WSI)
- https://secure.rec1.com/CA/City-of-Ontario/catalog (LG and WSI)
- https://apm.activecommunities.com/yucaipa/Activity_Search/12663 (LG Only)
Includes, but is not limited to, the following: Submit a completed online application to Human Resources at www.ci.colton.ca.us . For more information, please call (909) 370-5062.
Applications will be carefully screened and qualified applicants will be invited to a selection interview.
All successful candidates will be certified to an eligibility list good for one year (Classified Service only).
Appointment is contingent upon passing a pre-employment drug/alcohol screening, fingerprinting and verification of high school diploma or equivalent.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires that all new employees verify identity and entitlement to work in the United States by providing required documentation.
THE PROVISIONS OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT DO NOT CONSTITUTE A CONTRACT, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, AND ANY PROVISION CONTAINED IN THIS BULLETIN MAY BE MODIFIED OR REVOKED WITHOUT NOTICE.
AA/EOE—The City of Colton encourages the application of bilingual persons, women, minorities and persons with disabilities. Upon request, the city will attempt to reasonably accommodate applicants with disabilities.