Salary: $14.04 - $15.19 per hour
Final Filing Date Extended: Friday, June 15, 2018 @5:00 p.m.
Under general direction this position supervises a variety of aquatic activities at a community swimming pool.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (include but are not limited to the following)
- Assist with the supervising and planning of aquatics programs to include swim lessons, recreational swim, and related activities.
- Instruction of advanced classes.
- Assist with in-service training, maintenance of records, and program promotion.
- Plan special events and activities.
- Monitor filtration system and chemical levels.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Experience and/or Education:
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for a Senior Lifeguard. A typical way of obtaining the required qualifications is to possess two years of increasingly responsible experience in a comprehensive aquatics program. Graduation from high school with one year of college supplemented by training in recreation, physical education or a related field is also required.
License/Certificate: Possession of a valid class “C” California Driver’s License.
Possession of or the ability to obtain the following Red Cross Certificates: Standard First Aid, Advanced Life-Saving, Water Safety Instruction, and Cardio-pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
- Objectives and philosophy of recreation and its application to individual and group behavior with particular emphasis on aquatic programming.
- Pool filtration systems and proper chemical safety levels.
- All aspects of instructional swim programming.
- Organize and conduct various swim classes from beginning through advanced levels.
- Communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, subordinates and the public.
- Operate a motor vehicle on City streets.
Part-time, no benefits.
Please attach all required certifications:
- American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI).
- American Red Cross Lifeguarding certificate.
- American Red Cross First Aid and CPR for Lifeguards.
PLEASE SELECT THE LINKS BELOW FOR INFORMATION REGARDING CERTIFICATION CLASSES:
- http://www.ci.colton.ca.us/index.aspx?NID=271 (LG Only)
- https://www.fontana.org/2566/Fontana-Park-Aquatic-Center (LG and WSI)
- https://drayson.llu.edu/aquatics/lifeguardwsi-training (LG and WSI)
- https://secure.rec1.com/CA/City-of-Ontario/catalog (LG and WSI)
- https://apm.activecommunities.com/yucaipa/Activity_Search/12663 (LG Only)
All candidates must pass the physical agility swim test (Swim 500 yards continuously; Retrieve a 10-pound object; Tread water for 2 minutes; Exit pool without using a ladder).
THE PHYSICAL AGILITY TEST AND ORAL INTERVIEW WILL TAKE PLACE ON MAY 1 AND MAY 2, 2018 AT 3:00 P.M.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST COMPLETE A MANDATORY EMPLOYEE ORIENTATION ON MAY 5, 2018 PRIOR TO EMPLOYMENT.
ALL ABOVE CERTIFICATIONS MUST BE OBTAINED AND SUBMITTED TO HUMAN RESOURCES NO LATER THAN MAY 24, 2018 IN ORDER TO MOVE FORWARD IN THE SELECTION PROCESS.
Includes, but is not limited to, the following: Submit a completed online application to Human Resources at www.ci.colton.ca.us . For more information, please call (909) 370-5062.
Applications will be carefully screened and qualified applicants will be invited to a selection interview.
All successful candidates will be certified to an eligibility list good for one year (Classified Service only).
Appointment is contingent upon passing a pre-employment drug/alcohol screening, fingerprinting and verification of high school diploma or equivalent.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires that all new employees verify identity and entitlement to work in the United States by providing required documentation.
THE PROVISIONS OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT DO NOT CONSTITUTE A CONTRACT, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, AND ANY PROVISION CONTAINED IN THIS BULLETIN MAY BE MODIFIED OR REVOKED WITHOUT NOTICE.
AA/EOE—The City of Colton encourages the application of bilingual persons, women, minorities and persons with disabilities. Upon request, the city will attempt to reasonably accommodate applicants with disabilities.