Final Filing Date: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 @5:00 p.m.
Salary: $12.10 - $13.09 per hour
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (include but are not limited to the following)
- Guard pool.
- Assist in the instruction of swim classes.
- Maintain pool and equipment.
- Keep proper written records.
Experience and/or Education:
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for a Lifeguard.
A typical way of obtaining the required qualifications is to have participated in a variety of aquatic activities and services or volunteer work with youth, adult and senior citizens. Completion of specialized aquatic courses in application, instruction and theory from an approved agency, i.e. Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA), Young Women’s Christian Association (YWCA), Red Cross, etc is required.
Possess Standard First Aid and Advanced Lifesaving Certificates and Cardio-pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certificates Possession of a valid class “C” California Driver’s License.
Note: A driver’s license is not required for candidates 15-16 years of age, is recommended for candidates 16-18 years of age and required for 18 years of age and older. The City will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities, where necessary.
- Aquatic programming for various age groups.
- Record keeping and statistical computations.
- Work effectively with the public.
- Participate and assist in a variety of aquatic activities, including swim lessons and special events.
- Perform light pool maintenance and follow written and oral instructions.
- Operate a motor vehicle on City streets.
- Part-time, no benefits assigned.
Please attach all required American Red Cross certifications:
- First Aid
- CPR (for Lifeguards)
PLEASE SELECT THE LINKS BELOW FOR INFORMATION REGARDING CERTIFICATION CLASSES:
- http://www.ci.colton.ca.us/index.aspx?NID=271 (LG Only)
- https://www.fontana.org/2566/Fontana-Park-Aquatic-Center (LG and WSI)
- https://drayson.llu.edu/aquatics/lifeguardwsi-training (LG and WSI)
- https://secure.rec1.com/CA/City-of-Ontario/catalog (LG and WSI)
- https://apm.activecommunities.com/yucaipa/Activity_Search/12663 (LG Only)
All candidates must pass the physical agility swim test (Swim 500 yards continuously; Retrieve a 10-pound object; Tread water for 2 minutes; Exit pool without using a ladder).
THE PHYSICAL AGILITY TEST AND ORAL INTERVIEW WILL TAKE PLACE ON MAY 1 AND MAY 2, 2018 AT 3:00 P.M.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST COMPLETE A MANDATORY EMPLOYEE ORIENTATION ON MAY 5, 2018 PRIOR TO EMPLOYMENT.
ALL ABOVE CERTIFICATIONS MUST BE OBTAINED AND SUBMITTED TO HUMAN RESOURCES NO LATER THAN MAY 24, 2018 IN ORDER TO MOVE FORWARD IN THE SELECTION PROCESS.
Includes, but is not limited to, the following: Submit a completed online application to Human Resources at www.ci.colton.ca.us . For more information, please call (909) 370-5062.
Applications will be carefully screened and qualified applicants will be invited to a selection interview.
All successful candidates will be certified to an eligibility list good for one year (Classified Service only).
Appointment is contingent upon passing a pre-employment drug/alcohol screening, fingerprinting and verification of high school diploma or equivalent.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires that all new employees verify identity and entitlement to work in the United States by providing required documentation.
THE PROVISIONS OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT DO NOT CONSTITUTE A CONTRACT, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, AND ANY PROVISION CONTAINED IN THIS BULLETIN MAY BE MODIFIED OR REVOKED WITHOUT NOTICE.
AA/EOE—The City of Colton encourages the application of bilingual persons, women, minorities and persons with disabilities. Upon request, the city will attempt to reasonably accommodate applicants with disabilities.