Locations: Goebel Adult Community Center, Thousand Oaks Community Center, Thousand Oaks Teen Center
Part-time, requires flexible hours (may include evening and weekend hours)
Pay rate: starting at $14.72 hourly
Under general supervision, plan, conduct, and participate in recreational program activities according to established programs, schedules, and standards, in accordance with District policies and procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, conduct, and participate in various athletic, craft, social, cultural, and instructional activities
- Prepare facilities for programming, special events, or rental group usage
- Greet visitors, direct participants to the appropriate location, and respond to general inquiries
- Ensure safety of environment and equipment for staff, volunteers, participants, and visitors
- May open or close and secure facilities in compliance with District policies and procedures
- Issue and collect recreation equipment and supplies used by instructors, participants, or visitors
- Supervise special events, field trips, and other group activities
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and participate in promotional activities and community events
- Modify and adapt activities specific to specialized programs or populations, as appropriate
- May assist with transportation in specialized programs
- Perform other related duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty* satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required:
Education and Experience:
Minimum age of 18 years old with a High School Diploma (or GED). At least 500 hours of experience in recreation with 15 units completed in recreation or a related field preferred, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Adult and Pediatric First Aid & CPR/AED within 90 days of hire
- CA Driver’s License and Proof of Insurance
Additional Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Ability to communicate effectively in English in both written and oral form. Ability to write routine correspondence using correct spelling and grammar. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in whole numbers, fractions, and decimals. Ability to apply common sense and exercise good judgement in solving problems. Ability to establish effective relationships with fellow employees, volunteers, and participants and/or parents/guardians.
Fingerprint-Based Background Check:
All recreation employees are required to obtain fingerprint-based background clearance prior to their first day of employment.
The employee may provide guidance or direction to other part-time employees and to volunteers.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job:
The noise level in the environment is moderate to loud. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outdoor weather conditions, including wet or humid conditions. The employee may occasionally be exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; potentially hazardous chemicals or airborne particles; or risk of electrical shock. Exposure to hazardous conditions may vary according to Unit assignment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that should be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties* of this job:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, or walk; use hands or fingers to touch, handle, or feel; use hands and arms to reach; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell. Vision requirements include close, distance, color, and peripheral vision; depth perception; the ability to adjust focus; and the ability to see well in poor lighting or at night. The employee is regularly required to lift up to 10 pounds, frequently required to lift up to 25 pounds, and occasionally required to lift up to 50 pounds. Physical demands may vary according to Unit assignment.
* Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Other than statutory law (AB 1522 CA Paid Sick Leave), there are no benefits for part-time temporary/seasonal positions.
Complete the application fully including education and work history. A resume may be attached (encouraged), but will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application.