The City of Cupertino Invites Applications for the Position ofHuman Resources Assistant – Part-Time
Part-Time Temporary Non-Benefited Position
Salary Range: $27.33 per hour
Final Filing Date: Open Until ClosedThe Position
The City of Cupertino is currently recruiting for a Human Resources Assistant. The Human Resources Assistant is an entry-level confidential classification responsible for performing a variety of routine to complex clerical and administrative duties to support the day-to-day operations of the Human Resources Division. An incumbent in this position interacts frequently with City employees and the general public and exercises tact and discretion when dealing with issues of confidential or sensitive nature. This position is a part-time, temporary, non-benefited position limited to 995 hours per fiscal year. The position will require occasionally working evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
Examples of Duties: Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Assists customers at the counter, on the telephone, and via email answering inquiries, explaining division policies and procedures, and providing forms and informational materials related to recruitment processes, employee salary and benefits, performance evaluations, and other matters related to division operations;
- Establishes, updates, and maintains division records, files, and databases, including those pertaining to employment applications, payroll, benefits, and performance evaluations;
- Processes employee and applicant data and status changes including salary and benefits adjustments, performance evaluations, employment, new hires, promotions and terminations;
- Maintains division operating supplies and processes purchase orders and monthly reoccurring invoices;
- Prepares and distributes a variety of routine correspondence and informational materials;
- Performs basic research and compiles data for various reports and projects;
- Provides general clerical and administrative support to division staff, including making photocopies, scheduling appointments and meetings, sorting and distributing mail, running errands, filing paperwork records, and records retention;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Supervision Received and Exercised: The Human Resources Assistant Receives immediate supervision from the Human Resources Analyst II or other employees as assigned. Exercises no supervision over staff.Qualifications
- Modern office procedures, practices and equipment;
- Office and safety practices, procedures and standards;
- Personal computer hardware and software, including word processing, spreadsheet, and database programs;
- Principles and practices of effective customer service;
- City and Department policies and procedures;
- Record keeping principles and techniques and records management.
- Establish and maintain tactful, courteous, and effective working relationships with the public, employees, and others contacted in the course of work;
- Handle and maintain confidential information with professional demeanor and discretion;
- Work in a team-based environment and achieve common goals;
- Maintain professionalism, courtesy , and composure at all times, including stressful situations;
- Communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, by using correct English grammar, spelling, and punctuation;
- Establish and maintain accurate records, files and database systems;
- Evaluate situations, identify problems, and exercise sound independent judgement within established guidelines;
- Perform arithmetic computations with accuracy;
- Interpret, apply, and explain established policies and procedures;
- Effectively handle multiple priorities, work with interruptions, organize workload, and meet strict deadlines;
- Type accurately at a speed of at least 25 net words per minute.
Education and Experience: Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be: Graduation from high school or possession of GED; and eighteen months of general clerical experience involving extensive customer service. Experience in a human resources or payroll function highly desirable.
Licenses and Certifications: Possession of a valid Class C California driver's license is required at the time of application and for the duration of employment.
Physical Demands:Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person, before groups, and over the telephone. This is primarily a sedentary office classification although standing and walking between work areas may be required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard, typewriter keyboard, or calculator and to operate standard office equipment. Positions in this classification occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push, and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information. Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects up to 25 pounds.
Environmental Elements:Employees work in an office environment with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Employees may interact with members of the public or with staff under stressful conditions while interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.The Selection Procedure
Applicants must complete an official City of Cupertino application and return it to Human Resources or apply online at www.calopps.org. Final Filing Date: Open Until Filled. Failure to complete the supplemental application will disqualify the applicant from the recruitment process. Applications will be screened according to the qualifications outlined in this job announcement. Applicants possessing the most desirable qualifications will be invited to continue in the selection process, which may include a written examination and/or panel interview. The City of Cupertino is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of a person’s race, religion, color, sex (including gender and pregnancy), sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality), national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, uniformed service member status, marital status, age, medical condition, genetic characteristics, and physical or mental disability. Candidates with a disability, which may require special assistance in any phase of the application or testing process, should advise City of Cupertino Human Resources upon submittal of application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request.About the City
The City of Cupertino (population 60,000) is located against the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains at the west end of the world famous Silicon Valley. Rich in diversity, Cupertino is committed to becoming a model multicultural community for the 21st century. With one of the most diverse, technologically savvy, and nonpartisan populations in Northern California, Cupertino is quickly becoming a city that people like to talk about. Corporate headquarters blend with tree-shrouded residential neighborhoods that climb into the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountain range. This is the backdrop for living and working in Cupertino, California. Cupertino is home to many well-known high-tech companies like Apple, and offers a dynamic and exciting business climate. Winner of numerous state and national awards for excellence, Cupertino public schools are widely acknowledged to be models of quality instruction. Cupertino is also home to De Anza College, recently named the best community college in California. Quality schools and proximity to high-tech jobs and beautiful open spaces make Cupertino a desirable location for a highly educated and culturally diverse population.Employment Information
City employment applications may be obtained from the City of Cupertino Human Resources, 10300 Torre Ave., Cupertino, CA, by calling (408) 777-3227, or by visiting our website at www.cupertino.org. To apply online, visit www.calopps.org. Completed City employment applications and supporting materials must be received by the City’s Human Resources no later than the final filing date. Postmarks or late applications will not be accepted. Applications received through fax transmission by the final filing date are acceptable only on the condition that the original application is received no later than by 5 p.m. one week following the closing date. Applications must be filled out completely. Failure to list work experience or stating “See Resume” in the employment history section of the application will be considered an incomplete application and subject to rejection. Resumes may be attached separately. Appointment to this position is contingent upon passing a pre-employment physical paid for by the City, a pre-employment fingerprinted criminal history records check and the ability to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States. The City of Cupertino is AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The information contained within this announcement may be modified or revoked without notice and does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract
A completed supplemental application must be submitted along with a completed City of Cupertino Employment Application to be considered for the Human Resources Assistant position.
Please provide a response to each question. Please limit your response to 2 pages total.