City of Cupertino 2018 Summer Employment Opportunity
Recreation and Community Services Dept., 10185 N. Stelling Rd., Cupertino, CA (408) 777-3120
Human Resources, 10300 Torre Ave., Cupertino, CA (408) 777-3227
Senior Recreation Leader
The City of Cupertino Recreation and Community Services Department has summer employment opportunities and is looking for self-motivated, enthusiastic, reliable individuals to assist with recreation programs working with youth ages 3 to 13. Recruiting for the following summer programs: preschool, youth, science, and nature camps.
POSITION: Senior Recreation Leader (Part-Time Temporary, Non-Benefited Position, maximum 995 hours per fiscal year).
HOURS OF WORK: Monday through Friday between 7:00am–6:30pm. Full-day (8 hours), half-day, or on-call. From June 4 – August 10, 2018. Open availability is highly desirable.
SALARY RANGE: $15.50 to $17.50 per hour
- Senior Recreation Leaders plan, organize, lead, and supervise all recreational activities and volunteers in the program, and do related work as required.
- Supervise volunteers and ensure that the assigned program meets the needs and interests of the participants while also maintaining good relations with staff, parents, neighbors, and other concerned groups.
- Assist with the promotion, organization, and leadership of recreation programs.
- Typical activities include, but are not limited to arts, crafts, sports, games, trips, contests, and special events.
- College-level courses in environmental education, recreation, or related field are desirable.
- Must have knowledge of safety precautions, the ability to supervise staff and maintain discipline with program participants, prepare clear and accurate reports.
- Must have strong time management skills, show work initiative, and work independently.
- Open availability is highly desirable.
- Must have a high school diploma/ GED.
- 500 hours of related work experience.
- A valid California Driver's License is desirable.
- Willingness to obtain CPR and First Aid certification during paid In-Service Training.
- Must be able to provide own transportation to and from work.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicant may submit an application online via CalOpps.org or applications may be picked up and returned to the following offices:
Cupertino Recreation and Community Services Department
10185 N. Stelling Road
Cupertino, CA 95014
Cupertino Human Resources Division
10300 Torre Avenue
Cupertino, CA 95014
Applicants will be screened by:
A. Review of their written application and answers to supplemental questions;
B. an oral interview/group assessment;
C. State law requires that if your position will bring you into contact with minors (i.e., those under 18), you must complete a fingerprinted criminal history records check.
D. Successful applicants will also need to show proof of current T.B. test. City of Cupertino will cover the cost of the TB test.
E. Successful applicants must have current CPR and First Aid certification by June 9, 2017. Certification will be provided during In-Service Training.
F. License: Posession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Class C California driver license.
June 4, 2018–June 8, 2018. Employees are required to attend this paid training.
Summer Program Dates
Camp programs- June 11, 2017–August 10, 2018. Employees are asked to be available all nine weeks of summer programs as needed. Time off may be granted only under limited circumstances.
CPR/AED AND FIRST AID CERTIFICATION:
If you are offered a position with the Recreation and Community Services Department, CPR/AED and First Aid certification is required. A certification/ re-certification course will be offered to new employees during the In-Service Training week listed above. If you cannot take these classes when offered, you may take these courses through the American Red Cross or American Heart Association at your own expense. Please check with the American Red Cross or American Heart Association for their current CPR and First Aid class schedule.
The City of Cupertino is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of a person’s race, religion, color, sex (including gender and pregnancy), sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality), national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, uniformed service member status, marital status, pregnancy, age, medical condition, genetic characteristics, and physical or mental disability. Candidates with a disability, which may require special assistance in any phase of the application or testing process, should advise City of Cupertino Human Resources upon submittal of application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request. AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Applications accepted until all positions are filled
A completed supplemental application must be submitted along with a completed City of Cupertino Employment Application to be considered for the seasonal Senior Recreation Leader position.