CITY OF CUPERTINO EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Customer Service Attendant I / Receptionist – Cupertino City Hall
Part-Time Temporary Non-Benefited Position
POSITION: Customer Service Attendant I (Part-Time Temporary Non-Benefited Position)
HOURS PER WEEK: 20 hours (approximate)
SALARY RANGE: $14.00 to $16.00 per hour
FINAL FILING DATE: Open Until Filled
City of Cupertino is recruiting for a customer service-oriented individual to staff the front desk at Cupertino City Hall. The Customer Service Attendant I is assigned to the Information Services department and typically works mornings Monday through Thursday. There are occasional weekday morning, afternoon, or evening hours as well. This is a part-time, temporary, non-benefited position limited to 995 hours per fiscal year.
Under general supervision, the Customer Service Attendant I welcomes visitors, operates a multi-line telephone system to answer incoming calls, directs calls to appropriate staff, provides information, assistance, and outstanding customer service to the general public, completes a variety of entry-level administrative duties, performs general clerical duties, and does other related duties as assigned.
Examples of duties include, but are not limited to:
- Welcomes on-site visitors, determines nature of business, and announces visitors to appropriate personnel.
- Answers incoming telephone calls, determines purpose of calls, and forwards calls to appropriate personnel or department.
- Fields inquiries from community members and either answers questions or refers them to appropriate staff
- Answers general questions about organization and provides visitors and callers with address, directions, and other general information.
- Takes and delivers messages or transfers calls to voice mail when appropriate personnel are unavailable.
- Receives, sorts, and routes mail; maintains and routes publications.
- Opens and closes facilities
- Performs a final security inspection before securing and locking the building
- May perform additional duties as required.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent customer service techniques
- Basic principles and methods of customer service
- General procedure of multi-line telephones
- Office procedures
- Operate a computer and use software applications in the Microsoft Office suite
- Knowledge of safety precautions
- Learn policies and procedures applicable to the operation of the City
- Communicate policies and procedures effectively
- Work with a diverse population in a tactful and effective manner;
- Obtain information through questioning and dealing courteously with the public
- Perform clerical work with accuracy
- Manage time effectively, show initiative, work independently, and meet deadlines
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions in answering and routing telephone calls
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and the public
- Follow and understand written and oral instructions
- Work independently, often with limited supervision or direction
- Establish and maintain building security
- Adhere to the safety procedures, practices, and policies of the City
May sit at a desk for long periods of time; intermittently twist and reach office equipment, and bend, squat, kneel, or twist while managing physical files; hand write and use a keyboard; lift or carry weight of 50 pounds or less.
Any combination equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade and experience in the program to which assigned. Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver's license.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit an official City of Cupertino application. You may apply online via CalOpps.org or complete a printed application. All printed applications must be typewritten or handwritten in black ink. Application forms may be picked up at and returned to the following office: Cupertino City Hall, Human Resources Division, 10300 Torre Avenue, Cupertino, CA 95014.
Applications must be filled out completely. Failure to list work experience or stating “See Resume” in the employment history section of the application will be considered an incomplete application and subject to rejection. Resumes may be attached separately. Appointment to this position is contingent upon passing a pre-employment fingerprint criminal history records check and the ability to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
Applicants must complete an official City of Cupertino application and supplemental application and return to Human Resources or apply online at www.calopps.org. Final Filing Date: Open Until Filled. Failure to complete the supplemental application will disqualify the applicant from the recruitment process. Applications will be screened according to the qualifications outlined in this job announcement. Applicants possessing the most desirable qualifications will be invited to continue in the selection process, which may include a written examination and/or panel interview. The City of Cupertino is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of a person’s race, religion, color, sex (including gender and pregnancy), sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality), national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, uniformed service member status, marital status, pregnancy, age, medical condition, genetic characteristics, and physical or mental disability. Candidates with a disability, which may require special assistance in any phase of the application or testing process, should advise City of Cupertino Human Resources upon submittal of application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request. AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
A supplemental application is required.