City of Cupertino
2018 Summer Internship Opportunity
Pay Range: $18.50-22.50
Summary : An internship is available in the Recreation and Community Services Department. Under the supervision of the Recreation Coordinator, the Intern will have the opportunity to explore various aspects of an aquatics program, while gaining the knowledge and hands-on experience need to work in the aquatics field. Internship will begin mid-May and end in early August. Wednesday, July 4, is a mandatory workday for all recreation staff.
Examples of duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with interviewing and hiring seasonal staff
- Assist with development of staff training curriculum
- Assist with training staff and volunteers
- Manages and supervises ten to fifteen aquatic staff.
- Organizes and manages swim lessons and lap swim.
- Keeps accurate progress records
- Mentors and supports new staff
- Provides weekly in-service training to staff
- Maintains constant and active surveillance of patrons in the facility
- Acts immediately and appropriately to secure safety of patrons in the event of an emergency
- Provides emergency care/treatment as required until the arrival of emergency medical services
- Presents a professional appearance and attitude at all times
- Enforces all policies, rules, and regulations
- Performs cleaning duties to maintain a clean and safe facility
- Maintains a high level of customer service
- Must possess current Red Cross certificates: Lifeguard, First Aid, CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
- Must be a minimum of 18 years old
- Must have a minimum of two summers of previous lifeguard and swim instruction experience
- Must have the skills and techniques required to teach swim lessons effectively to a variety of ages
- Must be responsible, alert, courteous, and punctual
- Must be able to communicate with peers, supervisors, and patrons
The Selection Process
Applicants must complete an official City of Cupertino application and return it to Human Resources or apply online at www.calopps.org. Final Filing Deadline: Open until filled. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be screened according to the qualifications outlined in this job announcement. Applicants possessing the most desirable qualifications will be invited to continue in the selection process, which may include a written examination and/or panel interview. Failure to list work experience or stating “See Resume” in the employment history section of the application will be considered an incomplete application and subject to rejection.
The City of Cupertino is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of a person’s race, religion, color, sex (including gender and pregnancy), sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality), national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, uniformed service member status, marital status, pregnancy, age, medical condition, genetic characteristics, and physical or mental disability. Candidates with a disability, which may require special assistance in any phase of the application or testing process, should advise City of Cupertino Human Resources upon submittal of application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request.
How to Apply
City employment applications may be obtained from the City of Cupertino Human Resources, 10300 Torre Ave., Cupertino, CA, by calling (408) 777-3227, or by visiting our website at www.cupertino.org. To apply online, visit www.calopps.org. Completed City employment applications and supporting materials must be received by the City’s Human Resources no later than the final filing date. Postmarks or late applications will not be accepted. Applications received through fax transmission by the final filing date are acceptable only on the condition that the original application is received no later than by 5 p.m. one week following the closing date. Applications must be filled out completely. Failure to list work experience or stating “See Resume” in the employment history section of the application will be considered an incomplete application and subject to rejection. Resumes may be attached separately. Appointment to this position is contingent upon passing a pre-employment fingerprinted criminal history records check and the ability to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States. AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
The information contained within this announcement may be modified or revoked without notice and does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.