City of Cupertino Employment Opportunity
Recreation and Community Services Department, 10185 N. Stelling Rd., Cupertino, CA (408) 777-3120
Human Resources, 10300 Torre Ave., Cupertino, CA (408) 777-3227
Park Ranger - Stevens Creek Corridor
Position: Park Ranger
Approximate hours per week: 20 hours
Salary Range: $27.60; $28.98; $30.43; $31.95; $33.55
Final Filing Date: Open until filled
The City of Cupertino Recreation and Community Services Department is recruiting for a year-round opening at Blackberry Farm. Under general supervision, the Park Ranger will monitor and patrol the Stevens Creek Corridor and will be familiar with City Code, issuing citations when necessary. The Park Ranger will engage and educate Stevens Creek Corridor visitors and volunteers on a variety of topics, including: corridor restoration efforts, natural history, wildlife sightings, leash laws, etc. The Park Ranger will also work with the City Naturalist on habitat restoration and assist with all parking related issues. This is a part-time, temporary, non-benefited position limited to no more than 995 hours per fiscal year.
Examples of Duties may include, but are not limited to:
• Communicates clearly and effectively with Stevens Creek Corridor visitors, providing accurate information at all times.
• Interpret, explain, and enforce City Code as it relates to the Corridor, and issues citations when necessary.
• Maintains files, databases, and records related to citations and violations.
• Educates patrons and volunteers on natural history, habitat restoration, and wildlife.
• Performs occasional trail maintenance such as removing downed tree limbs and cleaning graffiti.
• Acts immediately and appropriately to secure safety of park patrons in the event of an emergency.
• Assists with any issues related to traffic and parking.
• Presents a professional appearance and attitude at all times.
• Maintains a high level of customer service.
• Performs other duties as required.
• Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California Driver’s License by time of appointment.
• Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California Penal Code 832 certificate within 6-months of hire date.
• Must have at least 1 year of park ranger experience or experience in a related field. 2 years major course work in the field is preferred.
• Must be a minimum of 18 years old.
• Must be CPR and First-Aid Certified. (If not currently certified, CPR and First Aid certification and re-certification training will be offered to employees. Possible training dates will be discussed with employees.)
• Must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials, and objects weighing up to 50 pounds, or heavier weights with the use of proper equipment.
• Must be responsible, alert, courteous, and punctual.
• Must be able to communicate with peers, supervisors, and patrons.
• Must be available to work weekends, evenings, and holidays.
• Must be able to provide own transportation to and from work.
How to Apply
Apply online via CalOpps. Printed application forms will also be accepted, and must be typewritten or handwritten in black ink. Application forms may be picked up at and returned to the following offices:
Recreation and Community Services Department., 10185 N. Stelling Rd., Cupertino, CA 95014
Cupertino City Hall, Human Resources, 10300 Torre Ave., Cupertino, CA 95014
Applicants will be screened by: A) a review of their written application; B) an oral interview/assessment; C) state law requires that if your position will bring you into contact with minors (i.e., those under 18), you must complete a fingerprint criminal history records check; and D) successful applicants will need to show proof of a current T.B. test.
The City of Cupertino is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of a person’s race, religion, color, sex (including gender and pregnancy), sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality), national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, uniformed service member status, marital status, pregnancy, age, medical condition, genetic characteristics, and physical or mental disability. Candidates with a disability, which may require special assistance in any phase of the application or testing process, should advise City of Cupertino Human Resources upon submittal of application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request. AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER