Perform technical building inspection and plans examining work to enforce compliance with California State building, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, Green Building and Energy Codes; researches new construction materials and methods; reviews plans for compliance with local, state, and federal rules and regulations; and provides information to and works with the public to resolve problems.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives direction from the Chief Building Official. This position does not exercise supervision of others.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
Essential job duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Perform routine to complex building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, energy and accessibility inspections of all structures and installations during construction to ensure conformance to local and state codes, ordinances, approved plans, calculations, and specifications.
- Review specifications, sketches, architectural plans of buildings to be constructed, altered, or repaired.
- Process minor building permit applications and over-the counter plan checks, and assist in the issuance of building permits and front counter coverage as needed.
- Check quality of materials and methods of construction; inspect existing buildings for hazardous conditions and/or structural integrity.
- Provide information to builders and the public regarding building regulations.
- Assist other Town staff in the enforcement of zoning, grading, and planning issues.
- Utilize enterprise permit system to plot inspection routes, complete plan check assignments, log inspection and plan check findings, and maintain file records.
- Prepare and maintain reports and records of plan checks completed, inspections made and/or actions taken.
- Federal, state, and local laws, codes and ordinances relating to building construction, including State Energy and Accessibility regulations enforceable by the Town.
- General zoning and land use laws; general grading practices.
- Accepted safety standards, testing procedures and methods of construction.
- Principles and techniques of building inspection and plans examining work.
- Basic understanding of the plan checking process.
- Analyze, interpret and accurately check building plans, specifications and building codes; draw valid, independent conclusions.
- Enforce codes with good judgment, impartiality and tact.
- Apply technical knowledge of building trades.
- Establish, maintain and foster positive and harmonious working relationships.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing, producing clear and complete correction notices and inspection reports.
- Use an enterprise permitting system to map inspection routes, log inspection findings and process electronic permit applications.
- Stoop, climb, crawl, balance, maneuver, walk and stand for long periods of time; must possess the ability to lift up to 50lbs.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Any combination of experience and education that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Two (2) years of experience as an entry-level combination-building inspector. Specialized training in the building trades and/or code enforcement desirable.
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade. An Associate degree in construction technology, engineering, or closely related field is desirable.
LICENSE(S) AND CERTIFICATION(S)
Possession of a valid California State Driver’s License, or license in another state with the ability to obtain a California license within 30 days of hire. Minimum of two (2) IAPMO/ICC Certifications in building, plumbing, mechanical, or electrical. State Contractors License, or engineering degree may be substituted for IAPMO/ICC Certification.