The City of Dixon is recruiting to establish an eligibility list to fill one (1) position of Streets & Utilities Maintenance Supervisor position in the Public Works Department. This position plans, organizes, monitors, and supervises the work of maintenance personnel assigned to Street & Utilities Maintenance Division wit the City Engineer/Public Works Department and perform a variety of technical tasks relative to Streets and Utilities Maintenance. The purpose of the eligibility list is to establish qualified candidates that meet the position requirements and will be eligible to undergo employment process noted below if the position becomes vacant in the future. Eligibility lists shall remain in effect pursuant to the City's Personnel Rules.
QUALIFICATIONS: Applications are invited from qualified persons who possess the knowledge and abilities to perform the job. A typical way to obtain such knowledge and ability would be:
Education: Equivalent to completion of twelfth grade supplemented by specialized training in Street and Utilities Maintenance operations.
Experience: Four (4) years of increasingly responsible experience in Street and Utilities Maintenance work, including one year lead/supervisory experience.
- Valid Class C California Driver's License and a satisfactory driving record are conditions of initial and continued employment;
- Possession of, or the ability to obtain within 6 months of assignment, a Class B or A California Commercial Driver’s License with a tank and air brake endorsements, and a satisfactory driving record as a condition of continued employment;
- Possession of, or the ability to obtain within 6 months of assignment, a California Water Environmental Association (CWEA) Collections System Maintenance Grade I certificate; possession of a CWEA Collections System Maintenance Grade II certificate is highly recommended; and
- Possession of, or ability to obtain within 6 months of assignment, a valid California Department of Pesticide Regulations (DPR) Qualified Applicator Certificate
SELECTION PROCEDURE: All applicants should apply online, complete the supplemental questionnaire and submit document(s) by the final filing date.
EXAM PROCESS: A limited number of candidates whose applications indicate that they, among those competing, are better qualified in terms of related education, training and experience will be invited to participate in a written exam (pass/fail) and candidates who pass the written exam will be invited for an interview.
Employment Processing: Candidates selected for hire must successfully complete and pass the following: a personal background investigation, and a pre-employment medical examination. All appointees are required to successfully complete a 12-month probationary period, and in accordance with Federal law, are to provide proof of identity and proof that they may legally work in the United States.
Veteran's Preference Points: Veteran's Preference points will be applied. A copy of the DD214 form must be filed at the time of application.
The City of Dixon is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY / FEDERAL AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. Reasonable Accommodation in the application, examination and selection process will be made upon request by calling (707) 678-7000.
Knowledge and Abilities:
Knowledge of the principles and practices of street and utilities maintenance; equipment, tools and materials used in street and utilities maintenance activities; principles of supervision and training; principles and practices of safety management; pertinent local, state and federal laws, ordinances and rules.
Ability to read and understand construction drawings, plans and specifications; organize, implement and direct street and utilities maintenance operations and activities; interpret and explain pertinent department policies and procedures; develop cost estimates for supplies and equipment; perform the most complex maintenance duties and operate related equipment; demonstrate tact and diplomacy with the public; develop and recommend systems and procedures related to assigned operations; establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; supervise, train and evaluate assigned staff.
Complete the on-line application and supplemental questionnaire.
Submit required documents below. Candidates who do not submit document(s) with the application by the deadline WILL NOT be invited to continue in the selection process.
1. Possess a valid California Driver's License and satisfactory driving record. (Attach DMV Printout obtained from an official California DMV Office - www.DMV.ca.gov). The online Driver Record is not an official document, but the City will accept either this or an official copy.
2. California Water Environmental Association (CWEA) Collection Systems Maintenance Grade I or II certificate, if applicable.
3. Valid California Department of Pesticide Regulations (DPR) Qualified Applicator Certificate, if applicable.
4. DD214, if applicable.
SUBMIT DOCUMENTS ELECTRONICALLY TO YOUR APPLICATION. YOU CANNOT ADD DOCUMENTS AFTER SUBMISSION!! NO FAXES OR EMAIL ACCEPTED!