The City of Dublin is currently accepting applications for part-time Preschool Aide(s) at the Shannon Center Preschool on 11600 Shannon Avenue and at the preschool located at Dublin Elementary School on 7997 Vomac Road. Under the supervision of the Preschool Teacher, assists with organization and instruction of preschool classes for children 18 months through 5 years.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The following duties are normal for this classification. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
- Assist in planning and implementing preschool class activities.
- Assist in conducting preschool class activities in areas such as arts and crafts, games, music, or story time.
- Exercise precautions necessary to ensure the safety of preschool participants.
- May provide minor first aid to participants and/or perform related first aid/emergency techniques.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Training and Experience:
- Education: Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade; college level course work in early childhood education is desirable.
- Experience: One year of experience working with preschool age children in a structured and supervised environment.
- Basic arithmetic.
- English language skills, including punctuation and spelling.
- Age group characteristics of preschool children.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Exercise courtesy and tact in meeting or talking with the public.
- Deal with difficult or stressful situations in a calm and professional manner.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Licenses; Certificates; Special Requirements:
- Current certification in First Aid and CPR is required.
- Possession of a valid California Class C drivers’ license is not required for this class, however, if an employee possesses a valid license, he/she may be required to provide a Certificate of Automotive Insurance for Personal Liability.
- This classification is designated as a Mandatory Reporter; Completion of Mandatory Reporter training is required within one month of employment.
- Any offer of employment is conditional upon submission of a completed fingerprint card and satisfactory Department of Justice background check.
Other than statutory law, AB1522 (CA Paid Sick Leave law), there are no benefits for part-time, temporary-seasonal positions.
The physical standards described are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
An employee is regularly required to, sit at desk and in meetings for long periods of time; talk or hear, in person, in meetings and by telephone; use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate standard office equipment; and reach with hands and arms. Intermittently, twist to reach equipment surrounding desk; walk to observe department activities; bend and squat to perform file searches; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; use telephone and write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means; operate an automobile to attend various meetings and workshops. While performing duties, the employee is regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; know laws, regulations and codes; remember personnel rules, legal and code requirements; and explain and interpret codes, policies and procedures; interact with City management, other governmental officials, contractors, vendors, employees and the public.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
The best-qualified candidates, as determined by an initial screening of applications, will be invited to participate in an interview process which will consist of written and/or oral components. The City reserves the right to test an applicant in any other manner to determine suitability and to alter any aspect of the selection process. Meeting the minimum requirements listed in this job description does not guarantee advancement in subsequent phases of the selection process. No faxed or e-mailed applications will be accepted.
Pursuant to the City’s Personnel Rules Section 24.2, the City retains the right to take appropriate steps to avoid inappropriate working relationships among relatives.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
In accordance with Federal and State laws, the City of Dublin does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, handicap, disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, or age.