Under the supervision of the Recreation Coordinator, provides instruction to swimmers, attend practices and swim meets and prepare swim meet event scheduling.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
The following duties are normal for this classification. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
- Create lesson plans for team practices including the preparation of work-out schedules for all age and ability levels on the team
- Organize and attend all swim meets on Saturday mornings for the swim team including assigning swimmers’ events, prepare swimmers prior to swim events, and distribute awards following the swim meet
- Instruct and evaluate swim team members in important competitive swimming elements and techniques
- Act as a reference and role model for swim team members
- Complete all records and reports including accidents, control and discipline, time slips, and leaves of absence
- Cultivate and maintain good public relations with parent committee, parents, swimmers and the community
- Attend all coaches’ meetings and additional staff training as scheduled
- Education: Equivalent to the completion of the 12th grade;
- Experience: 2 years’ experience as an instructor or coach in the assigned program area.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Demonstrated leadership abilities and ability to engage in physical activity.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to demonstrate and identify proper competitive swimming techniques.
- Ability to provide positive corrective feedback to swimmers.
- Ability to deal effectively with staff and pool patrons.
Licenses, Certifications, Special Requirements:
- At time of hire, must be 18 years of age or older.
- Current certification in Safety Training for Swim Coaches; Water Safety Instructor and Lifeguard Training are desirable.
- This classification is designated as a Mandatory Reporter; Completion of Mandatory Reporter training is required within one month of employment.
- Any offer of employment to an adult who will have direct contact with minors is conditional upon submission of a completed fingerprint screening and a satisfactory background check.
- Possession of a valid California Class C drivers’ license and Certificate of Automotive Insurance for Personal Liability.
Other than statutory law, AB1522 (CA Paid Sick Leave law), there are no benefits for part-time, temporary/seasonal positions.
The physical standards described are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
On a continuous basis, know and understand all aspects of the job; intermittently analyze work papers, reports and special projects; identify and interpret technical and numerical information; observe and problem solve operational and technical policy and procedures.
On an intermittent basis, sit at desk for long periods of time; stand, walk, and bend while monitoring aquatics programs; squat, climb, kneel and twist intermittently when setting up various programs; perform various swimming techniques when instructing staff and/or patrons; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; and lift for carry weight of 100 pounds or less.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
The best-qualified candidates, as determined by an initial screening of applications, will be invited to participate in an interview process which will consist of written and/or oral components. The City reserves the right to test an applicant in any other manner to determine suitability and to alter any aspect of the selection process. Meeting the minimum requirements listed in this job description does not guarantee advancement in subsequent phases of the selection process. No faxed or e-mailed applications will be accepted.
Pursuant to the City’s Personnel Rules Section 24.2, the City retains the right to take appropriate steps to avoid inappropriate working relationships among relatives.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
In accordance with Federal and State laws, the City of Dublin does not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity or gender expression, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin rage, religion, sex or sexual orientation.