Friday, February 28, 2020
Part-time, Temporary/Seasonal (no more than 20 hours per week)
$15.00 - $28.52 per hour
TYPING CERTIFICATE REQUIREMENT
A typing certificate which verifies the ability to type accurately at the corrected rate of 30 words per minute must be submitted at the time of application. The typing certificate must be issued within the last 18 months.
Typing certificates may be 1) uploaded during the online application process, 2) e-mailed to email@example.com, or 3) submitted via mail/postal service to the following address: City of Dublin-Human Resources, 100 Civic Plaza, Dublin, CA 94568.
- Certificates will be accepted from a public school, business school or temporary agency; certificates from Internet testing services and/or home computer CD testing will NOT be accepted.
- Typing certificate (or signed statement on official letterhead of the testing agency) must be dated no earlier than the last 18 months.
- Typing certificate (or signed letter) must state all of the following information:
- Five-minute timed typing test
- Gross typing speed in words per minute
- Gross number of errors
- Net words per minute
- Net words per minute are calculated by subtracting your rate of error (gross number of errors divided by 5 minutes) from your gross words per minute. The scoring method used by the City of Dublin takes precedence over any other agency’s scoring method. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure typing certificates submitted contain all of the information required by the City of Dublin; incomplete or deficient typing certificates will be rejected.
Positions in this class typically have basic work-related experience and work under immediate supervision while learning job tasks then progress to general supervision as procedures and processes of assigned area of responsibility are learned.
The Customer Service Assistant I/II performs a wide variety of customer service, cashier, program administration, and clerical duties related to the function, facility, and department assigned. The location and hours of this part-time, temporary-seasonal position are flexible and vary based on the needs of the assigned division.
The Parks and Community Services Department is primarily looking for a Customer Service Assistant who can work Monday through Friday, 11:00 AM- 3:00 PM. Other shift opportunities may present themselves from time-to-time on weekdays.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Perform general clerical duties related to assigned functional area, facility, and department.
- Type, proofread, and process a variety of documents including general correspondence, customer-related correspondence, and memos, from rough draft or verbal instruction.
- Assist customers at the front counter; act as a receptionist; answer the telephone, and wait on the general public.
- Provide information on department and programs areas and policies and procedures; refer inquiries as appropriate.
- Perform administrative functions related to programmatic tasks.
- Receive facility rental applications for public facilities and registration forms for City programs; including checking availability.
- Process transactions and collect fees charged from the public for registrations, facility rentals, and other program areas.
- Balance cash register and prepare reconciliation form.
- Perform a wide variety of routine clerical work including filing, tallying, checking and recording information on records.
- Sort and file documents and records, maintaining alphabetical, index, and cross-reference files.
- Operate standard office equipment including computer, printer, copier, and facsimile machine.
- Receive, sort and distribute incoming and outgoing mail; send facsimile requests.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Training and Experience:
- Education: Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
- Experience: Some clerical experience is desirable.
- English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Word processing software.
- Personal computer and ten-key adding machine.
- Office methods and equipment including filing systems.
- Cash handling and cashiering procedures.
- Learn the organization, procedures and operating details of the City department to which assigned.
- Learn department processes and procedures, rules, and regulations related to area of assignment.
- Perform routine clerical work including maintenance of appropriate records
- Verify and check files and data.
- Understand and carry out both oral and written directions
- Perform simple mathematical calculations.
- Communicate in an effective manner.
- Exercise courtesy and tact in meeting or talking with the public.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Operate a variety of work-related office equipment.
- Must be available to work nights, weekends and holidays.
- Type accurately at a speed of 30 words per minute.
Licenses, Certificates and Special Requirements:
- A typing certificate which verifies the ability to type accurately at the corrected rate of 30 words per minute must be submitted at the time of application.
- Possession of a valid California Class C drivers' license and Certificate of Automobile Insurance for Personal Liability.
- Must be available to work nights, weekends and holidays.
- Desirable: Certification in Standard First Aid and CPR
- This classification is designated as a Mandatory Reporter; Completion of Mandatory Reporter training is required within one month of employment.
- Any offer of employment to an adult who will have direct contact with minors is conditional upon submission of completed fingerprint screening and a satisfactory background check.
Other than statutory law, AB1522 (CA Paid Sick Leave law), there are no benefits for part-time, temporary/seasonal positions
THE SELECTION PROCESS
The best-qualified candidates, as determined by an initial screening of applications, will be invited to participate in an interview process which will consist of written and/or oral components. The City reserves the right to test an applicant in any other manner to determine suitability and to alter any aspect of the selection process. Meeting the minimum requirements listed in this job description does not guarantee advancement in subsequent phases of the selection process. No faxed or e-mailed applications will be accepted.
Pursuant to the City’s Personnel Rules Section 24.2, the City retains the right to take appropriate steps to avoid inappropriate working relationships among relatives.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
In accordance with Federal and State laws, the City of Dublin does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, handicap, disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, or age.