The City of Dublin is currently accepting applications for part-time Lead Preschool Teacher. The Lead Preschool Teacher plans, organizes and teaches preschool classes to children 18 months through 5 years of age; supervises Preschool Teachers and Preschool Aides; oversees program operations which includes lessons, arts & crafts, games, music, drama, special events and field trips.
- Typical Work Schedule: Monday through Friday
- Additional hours are required for monthly meetings for an hour and special events for 3 hours;
- Average hours per week 20 hours
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are normal for this classification. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
- Oversees weekly program lesson plans taught at Shannon Preschool and Dublin Elementary Preschool;
- Ensures that activities run smoothly and according to program objectives and guidelines and general department philosophy;
- Plans and directs lessons, games, crafts and songs;
- Organizes field trips and special events;
- Trains, supervises and evaluates part-time Preschool Teachers and Preschool Aides;
- Maintains a variety of program records including attendance, accounting, accident/incident reports and citizen concerns and prepares reports relevant to program area;
- Requests, issues and is responsible for proper care of equipment;
- Evaluates program and makes recommendations to Recreation Supervisor;
- Checks Live Scan clearance list to ensure parent volunteers have been cleared to volunteer in the classroom;
- Conducts monthly staff meetings;
- Reviews timesheets for all part-time Preschool Teachers and Preschool Aides;
- Reviews the City Website and Activity Guide information to ensure information is current;
- Enforces City and department rules and regulations;
- Performs routine facility/equipment maintenance tasks;
- Renders basic First Aid/CPR as necessary;
- Acts as primary liaison between parents and the preschool staff, responsible for communication regarding issues such as parent orientation, parent volunteers, special needs children,
- kindergarten readiness and parent counseling.
Training and Experience:
- Education: Completion of 12th grade and college coursework with specialization in Early Childhood Education, Education or Recreation. Completion of Associates Arts or Science degree (A.A/A.S.) is desirable.
- Experience: Two years of experience working in a preschool or elementary school setting and one year supervising staff.
- Current early childhood education practices.
- Age group characteristics of preschoolers.
- Customer service techniques.
- Federal, state and local laws, regulations and court decisions applicable to assigned areas of responsibility.
- Work effectively with preschool age children and parents.
- Lead recreational activities such as games, arts & crafts, music and drama.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing and keep organized records.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with the public and other employees.
- Organize people, supplies, equipment and facilities.
- Plan and schedule activities.
- Explain and enforce rules, regulations, procedures and program objectives.
- Administer basic First Aid/CPR.
- Perform routine maintenance tasks.
- Develop and implement effective program curriculum/content.
- Supervise, train and evaluate subordinates.
- Understand, evaluate and resolve problems and conflicts.
- Exercise good judgment, tact and courtesy.
Licenses; Certificates; Special Requirements:
- Possession of or ability to obtain valid Red Cross CPR and First Aid Certification.
- Possession of a valid California Class C drivers’ license and Certificate of Automobile Insurance for Personal Liability.
- This classification is designated as a Mandatory Reporter; Completion of Mandatory Reporter training is required within one month of employment.
- Any offer of employment is conditional upon submission of a completed fingerprint card and satisfactory Department of Justice background check.
The physical standards described are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
An employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time; talk or hear, in person, in classroom and by telephone; use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate standard office equipment and instructional supplies; reach with hands and arms; and lift or carry weight of 10 pounds or less. The employee is frequently required to bend and twist to interact with children, reach files, walk and stand. While performing duties, the employee is regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret information and documents; deal effectively with children; analyze and solve problems; interact with City management, employees and the public.
Other than statutory law, AB1522 (CA Paid Sick Leave law), there are no benefits for part-time, temporary-seasonal positions.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
The best-qualified candidates, as determined by an initial screening of applications, will be invited to participate in an interview process which will consist of written and/or oral components. The City reserves the right to test an applicant in any other manner to determine suitability and to alter any aspect of the selection process. Meeting the minimum requirements listed in this job description does not guarantee advancement in subsequent phases of the selection process. No faxed or e-mailed applications will be accepted.
Pursuant to the City’s Personnel Rules Section 24.2, the City retains the right to take appropriate steps to avoid inappropriate working relationships among relatives.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
In accordance with Federal and State laws, the City of Dublin does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, handicap, disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, or age.