SIGN-ON BONUS (Limited Time) up to $750 - *details below
Under the supervision of the Recreation Supervisor, Recreation Coordinator and/or Program Specialist, the Head Lifeguard assists in planning, organizing, and supervising aquatics programs related to the management and operation of a public swimming pool.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are normal for this classification. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
• Assist in supervising and training swimming pool part-time staff, including input to schedules and staff evaluation;
• Enforce pool safety rules and regulations; maintain orderly patron conduct. Oversee lifeguard team; serve as lifeguard as needed;
• Maintain up-to-date records and prepare related reports as required;
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service;
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Training and Experience:
1. Education: Equivalent to completion of twelfth grade;
2. Experience: Three years’ experience or equivalent to completion of three seasonal assignments as Lifeguard with the City of Dublin.
• City swimming pool rules, regulations, and policies;
• Basic techniques of motivation and leadership;
• Use and care of lifesaving techniques and equipment used at public swimming pools;
• English usage, spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
• Assist in the management and operation of a public swimming pool. Oversee part-time staff activities, as assigned.
• Perform all lifesaving strokes according to American Red Cross standards, engage in physical activity.
• Perform and demonstrate lifesaving and emergency first aid techniques and practices. Deal with difficult or stressful situations in a calm and professional manner.
• Prepare reports related to pool management and operations, as assigned. Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
• Use of computer applications is desirable.
Licenses, Certifications, Special Requirements:
1. At time of hire, must be 17 years of age or older.
2. Any offer of employment to an adult who will have direct contact with minors is conditional upon submission of a completed fingerprint screening and a satisfactory background check.
3. Current certification in American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer with AED;
4. Lifeguard Training with Administering Emergency Oxygen; Emergency Response (Title 22).
5. Lifeguard Management certification is desirable.
6. Possession of a valid California Class C drivers’ license and Certificate of Automotive Insurance for Personal Liability.
7. This classification is designated as a Mandatory Reporter; Completion of Mandatory Reporter training is required within one month of employment.
Other than statutory law, AB1522 (CA Paid Sick Leave law), there are no benefits for part-time, temporary/seasonal position.
The physical standards described are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
On a continuous basis, know and understand all aspects of the job; intermittently analyze work papers, reports and special projects; identify and interpret technical and numerical information; observe and problem solve operational and technical policy and procedures.
On an intermittent basis stand, walk, and bend while monitoring aquatics programs; squat, climb, kneel and twist intermittently when setting up various programs; perform various swimming techniques when instructing staff and/or patrons; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; and lift or carry weight of 100 pounds or less.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
The best-qualified candidates, as determined by an initial screening of applications, will be invited to participate in an interview process which will consist of written and/or oral components. The City reserves the right to test an applicant in any other manner to determine suitability and to alter any aspect of the selection process. Meeting the minimum requirements listed in this job description does not guarantee advancement in subsequent phases of the selection process. No faxed or e-mailed applications will be accepted.
Pursuant to the City’s Personnel Rules Section 24.2, the City retains the right to take appropriate steps to avoid inappropriate working relationships among relatives.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
In accordance with Federal and State laws, the City of Dublin does not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity or gender expression, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin rage, religion, sex or sexual orientation.
- Sign-on Bonus only applicable to the LG/SI and Head LG positions.
- Bonus eligibility based on:
- Attending required training scheduled prior to 6/14/21
- Hours worked during the period of 6/15/21 – 8/8/21 as follows:
- 30 hours per week receives sign-on bonus of $500
- 40 hours per week receives sign-on bonus of $750
- Employee can only miss up to 5 days for pre-planned excused absences. An excused absence is a prescheduled approved absence disclosed during the interview process.
- Employee can only miss up to 2 days of unexcused absence. An unexcused absence is when an employee has an unplanned absence due to illness or an unplanned event.
- If at any time the employee has more than 2 days of unexcused absence, employment is terminated, or employee has more than 5 days of excused absence, employee is no longer eligible to receive the sign-on bonus. Illness resulting in more than 2 straight days missed, must be accompanied by a Doctor’s note.
- Bonus available only to those meeting the required Bonus Terms defined above and is payable during the second pay period of August 2021.