Part-Time, Temporary/Seasonal (no more than 20 hours per week)
The City of Dublin seeks a Senior Recreation Leader -Museum Assistant to serve as an integral part of the educational programs and visitor services that support the mission of the Dublin Heritage Park and Museums. The Senior Recreation Leader-Museum Assistant is both the public face of the museum and vital to behind-the-scenes operations. They are often the first and the last person a visitor encounters. The Senior Recreation Leader Museum Assistant must communicate well with all visitors and colleagues, and be capable of completing assigned tasks. Senior Recreation Leader Museum Assistants are reliable and have no hesitation when enforcing museum regulations or confronting any potential issues.
Under the supervision of the Heritage Park & Museums Museum Director, the Senior Recreation Leader-Museum Assistant is responsible for -various museum operations and functions. Assignments may include: coordinating and implementing Hands-on History Day programs; leading group tours; leading hands-on activities at special event; assisting with collections; and daily operations of the museum and historic buildings.
This position is scheduled to work weekday museum hours (Wednesdays and Thursdays 12:30pm-4:30pm), scheduled Hands-on History days (first Saturday of the month), and during weekday school fieldtrips.
The ideal candidate has an interest in museums and is comfortable speaking to groups and interpreting history through a variety of methods including tours, demonstrations and living history activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are normal for this classification. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
• Perform daily operations, including opening and closing procedures.
• Keep the museum campus secure during open hours.
• Greet visitors, answer inquiries in person.
• Lead tours and hands-on programs for local K-12 students, youth groups, families, and adults as needed.
• Assists in organization of and implementation of public programs such as workshops, education programs and special events; assist as needed in preparation of educational materials, promotional materials, and mailing lists related to museum interpretation activities.
• Work at City-produced special events, as needed.
• Assist with processing collections, including registering, accessioning, cataloging, packing, unpacking, maintaining inventory, and documenting items in the collection.
• Assist in setup and assembly of storage areas for collection, according to curatorial standards; cleans collection and storage area as needed.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Training and Experience:
1. Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade; college level course work in recreation, leisure services, or a related field is desirable.
2. A minimum of two years’ experience performing duties similar to that of Recreation Leader II with the City of Dublin.
• Basic museum practices and techniques.
• Customer service principles and techniques.
• Work 10-20 hours per week. Must be available to work weekends and a flexible, weekday schedule.
• Provide excellent customer service.
• Be punctual and responsible.
• Communicate effectively, including public speaking to crowds up to 50 people.
• Exercise courtesy and tact in dealing with program participants, volunteers and park visitors.
Licenses, Certifications, Special Requirements:
1. At the time of hire, must be 18 years of age or older.
2. Any offer of employment to an adult who will have direct contact with minors is conditional upon submission of completed fingerprint screening and a satisfactory background check.
3. Current certification in First Aid and CPR is required.
4. This classification is designated as a Mandatory Reporter; Completion of Mandatory Reporter training is required within one month of employment.
5. Possession of a valid California Class C driver’s license and a Certificate of Automotive Insurance for Personal Liability.
Other than statutory law, AB1522 (CA Paid Sick Leave law), there are no benefits for part-time, temporary/seasonal position.
The physical standards described are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. On a continuous basis, know and understand all aspects of the job; intermittently analyze work papers, reports and special projects; identify and interpret technical and numerical information; observe and report operational and technical policy and procedures.
On an intermittent basis, sit at desk for long periods of time, stand, walk, and bend while leading recreation programs; squat, climb, kneel and twist intermittently when setting up various recreation programs; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; and lift or carry weight of 100 pounds or less.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
The best-qualified candidates, as determined by an initial screening of applications, will be invited to participate in an interview process which will consist of written and/or oral components. The City reserves the right to test an applicant in any other manner to determine suitability and to alter any aspect of the selection process. Meeting the minimum requirements listed in this job description does not guarantee advancement in subsequent phases of the selection process. No faxed or e-mailed applications will be accepted.
Pursuant to the City’s Personnel Rules Section 24.2, the City retains the right to take appropriate steps to avoid inappropriate working relationships among relatives.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
In accordance with Federal and State laws, the City of Dublin does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, handicap, disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, or age.