$16.40 - $18.08 / hr
PLEASE NOTE: This is a temporary at-will position working fewer than 950 hours per fiscal year and is non-benefited.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The City of Emeryville’s Community Services Department is accepting applications for qualified Teachers to establish an applicant pool for substitute teaching at the Emeryville Child Development Center.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under direct supervision, the Teacher – Substitute perform a variety of duties in the efficient and effective operation of a child development center classroom; develops and delivers classroom curriculum and activities in a team-oriented environment consistent with the State Department of Education and The Creative Curriculum; assigns, delegates, trains and reviews the work of new and/or subordinate staff; performs related duties as required.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE IS:
- Knowledgeable of current child development practices in accordance with the State Department of Education guidelines;
- Knowledgeable of the rules and regulations regarding child safety;
- Knowledgeable of methods and practices of child assessment and evaluation;
- Knowledgeable of the principles and practices of child development for center based child care;
- Able to deal with a variety of age groups from infancy to pre-school age and adults;
- Able to understand and follow oral and written instructions;
- Able to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing; reading skills;
- Able to deal with children in distress and/or who are being uncooperative;
- Physically capable of monitoring and participating in children’s games and activities
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Must have a minimum of twelve (12) units of Early Childhood Education and one (1) year of relevant child development experience. Experience working in a child development program for infants, toddlers, and pre-school children is desirable. Must have a valid Associate Teacher permit.
All applicants must submit a completed City of Emeryville/MESA application and a comprehensive resume online at www.calopps.org. To learn more about the City of Emeryville and the Emeryville Child Development Center, please visit the City’s website www.ci.emeryville.ca.us. If you have any questions about this position please contact, Lois Porter, Interim Child Development Center Manager, at (510) 596-4348.
Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis; those candidates’ backgrounds that most closely fit our requirements may be invited for an interview.
EMERYVILLE is located at the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area. Its central location is the gateway to an extensive region that includes all major northern California cities, businesses, universities, and the Pacific Rim marketplace. The City is proud of its reputation as a leader in community development, cutting edge programs and progressive approaches to organizational issues. Emeryville has evolved from an industrial environment to a retail/technology based community.
The City and the Authority are Equal Opportunity Employers. All aspects of employment shall be without regard to sex, disability, race, political affiliation, religious creed, color, natural origin, or age. Reasonable accommodations will be made for disabled applicants to participate in the application and examination processes. Applicants needing special accommodations must contact Human Resources sufficiently in advance of the testing process to arrange for such accommodations. Please contact (510) 596-4300.