The Recreation Leader/ Sports Coach and Referee will be a member of a dynamic team charged with delivering creative, innovative, and enriching recreational programs for the Emeryville Recreation Center. This position will be primarily responsible for leading our soccer, basketball, flag football, volleyball, and/or t-ball league programs and Saturday fee classes.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Organize and lead recreational activities, which may include taking attendance and assisting with record-keeping; issue, maintain and store equipment and supplies; interact with children, parents, care-givers, volunteers and City staff; administer first aid/CPR when necessary; and ensure the safety and well-being of program participants.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE IS:
· Knowledgeable of sports rules and regulations for the sports listed above;
· Knowledgeable of the rules and regulations regarding child safety;
· Knowledgeable of the principles and practices of child development;
· Knowledgeable of the different stages of youth from ages 5 to 12 years of age;
· Able to develop and deliver classroom curriculum as related to sports;
· Able to provide encouragement for participation in programs;
· Able to follow written and oral instructions;
· Able to exercise good judgment and deal effectively with the public;
· Able to deal with stressful situations;
· Able to work independently with minimum supervision;
· Responsible, flexible and proactive;
· Capable of being part of an effective team;
· Energetic and motivational;
· Fun and has a sense of humor.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Eyesight sufficient to read data, memos, spreadsheets, vouchers, computer screens; manual dexterity to operate a personal computer, typewriter, copy machine, word processor; ability to sit for extended periods; stand, walk, bend reach above and below shoulders, lift and carry objects weighing up to 20 pounds; stamina to interact with a variety of school age children.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Any combination of education and experience that will likely produce the knowledge, skills and abilities required for the positions is qualifying. A typical way of qualifying is the equivalent of a high school diploma or GED. The most desirable candidates will possess two years of college with coursework in education, recreation, art or physical education or other related field and have two (2) years of relevant experience in soccer. Candidates must be at least 18 years of age or older.
This is a non-benefitted, part-time position.
TO APPLY: All applicants must submit a completed City of Emeryville/MESA application and a comprehensive resume online at www.calopps.org (paper applications will not be accepted). Applicants may utilize the computer in the lobby of Emeryville City Hall located at 1333 Park Avenue, Emeryville to apply online. All hired candidates will need to be fingerprinted. For more information about the Management of Emeryville Services Authority (MESA)/City of Emeryville or the Community Services Department, please visit the city’s website at www.ci.emeryville.ca.us. If you have any questions about this position, please contact Aja Pijeaux, Recreation Supervisor, Youth Services at (510) 596-4396 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
EEO / ADA
The City and the MESA are Equal Opportunity Employers. All aspects of employment shall be without regard to sex, disability, race, political affiliation, religious creed, color, natural origin, or age. Reasonable accommodations will be made for disabled applicants to participate in the application and examination processes. Applicants needing special accommodations must contact Human Resources sufficiently in advance of the testing process to arrange for such accommodations. Please contact (510) 596-4300.