SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT SUPERVISOR
$8,004 - $9,730/mo. + benefits
*Pending City Council approval of updated job description*
DEFINITION: The Software Development Supervisor is responsible for professional level work involving the oversight, and supervision of the City’s custom software development efforts and programming staff.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The incumbent must have the ability to:
- Perform user needs analysis, including documenting current business processes.
- Research and give recommendations on various “build or buy” software options to improve services and reduce costs.
- Design, code, implement, and maintain various in-house software applications, middle-ware, interfaces, utilities, and web applications.
- Organize and prepare program and system documentation under established guidelines.
- Prepare system and program flowcharts.
- Code and debug complex programs.
- Design tests and test data requirements.
- Develop, implement, and monitor adherence to new programming, documentation, source code management, and naming convention standards.
- Serve as a team leader, supervising, evaluating, guiding, mentoring, and training other Programmers, Analysts, and assigned personnel.
- Coordinate the effective use of the team’s time and ensure efficient communication between team and other IT areas and departments.
- Formulate plans and procedures for data and process conversions to new automated systems.
- Outline, coordinate, and conduct training of users in various custom developed software applications.
- Monitor and oversee computer controls, operations instructions, audit trails; takes appropriate action to ensure standards are adhered to.
- Write interfaces for various computer systems within the City, including public safety systems, financial systems, maintenance management, and land/GIS systems.
- Interact with other groups within the IT Department to ensure that systems are interoperable and that information is appropriately shared and non-redundant.
- Assist in long-range planning, as well as, short-term system development planning.
- Conduct research and analysis for new technology requests from various departments.
- Develop detailed project plans, including task resource assignments, schedules, and funding.
- Work positively and constructively with users in a highly technical and demanding environment.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Work with subordinate employees to correct performance deficiencies.
- Recommend, implement, and enforce department policies and procedures as appropriate.
- Establish and maintain cooperative work relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Perform any other tasks or functions deemed necessary to the daily operations of the employer.
THE ABOVE LIST OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS IS NOT EXHAUSTIVE AND MAY BE SUPPLEMENTED AS NECESSARY BY THE EMPLOYER.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position requires prolonged sitting, standing walking, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, squatting and stooping in the performance of daily activities. The position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movement, and fine coordination in preparing reports using a computer key board. Additionally, the position requires near and far vision in reading written reports and work related documents. Acute hearing is required when providing phone services.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Prior to completing an application, please read the minimum qualifications for the position in which you are interested. You cannot be considered for a position unless you meet the minimum experience, education, license, and/or certification requirements. Under the work experience section, account for all employment within the last ten years (including gaps in employment), beginning with your current or most recent employer. Applications will be rejected if “SEE RESUME” is written on any portion of this section. The Work Experience section of the application should clearly demonstrate that minimum qualifications are met. All statements made on applications are subject to investigation and verification. False statements will be cause for disqualification, removal from the Eligibility List, or discharge from employment.
SELECTION PROCESS: Following a review of applications submitted, qualified applicants will be notified of their status in the recruitment process, which may include the date, time, and place of an examination. Written, oral, performance and physical exams may be given (no veterans preference given). All candidates will be required to provide identification before being admitted to written, interview, or performance examinations.
We encourage everyone to file an application with us and we do not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sex, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, or veteran status. Reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act are available upon request for individuals with disabilities. Please call (909) 350-7650 for additional information or to request an accommodation. The provisions of this job posting do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provisions contained in this job posting may be modified or revoked without notice.
THE CITY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO RATE CANDIDATES BASED ON A REVIEW OF THE APPLICATION MATERIALS AND TO INVITE ONLY THE MOST QUALIFIED CANDIDATES TO PARTICIPATE IN SUCCESSIVE PARTS OF THE SELECTION PROCESS.