WATER SAFETY INSTRUCTOR (WSI)
$12.46 - $15.15/hr.
(Seasonal, part-time, at-will, no benefits)
DEFINITION: Under supervision, enforce all pool regulations, perform rescues, instruct swimming classes in beginning through advanced skills, maintain pool area and equipment and does related work as required. These are seasonal positions available from May - September; Work schedule varies and will include evenings, weekends, and holidays.
TESTING FOR THIS RECRUITMENT WILL TAKE PLACE ON SATURDAY, MARCH 31, 2018.
MUST SUBMIT CERTIFICATIONS WITH APPLICATION IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The incumbent must have the ability to:
- Swim with proficiency and endurance.
- Meet standards of swimming competency as established by the American Red Cross Aquatic Standards and the Fontana Community Services Department.
- Prevent dangerous situations, recognize emergencies, and take appropriate action.
- Effectively enforce pool rules and policies.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with both staff and pool patrons.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
THE ABOVE LIST OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS IS NOT EXHAUSTIVE AND MAY BE SUPPLEMENTED AS NECESSARY BY THE EMPLOYER.
WORKING CONDITIONS: This position requires sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting, turning, bending, stooping, squatting and crouching in the performance of daily duties. This position also requires both near and far vision and acute hearing. Will also be working in outdoor area and may be exposed to extreme weather conditions.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING: A combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. The employee must have the knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of water safety, rescue methods, lifesaving techniques, and first aid as applied to accidents in the water and surrounding pool areas.
- Techniques and methods of swimming instruction for all age groups.
- Must be at least sixteen (16) years of age and have a valid work permit.
LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS: Must have current certifications in:
- Lifeguard/First Aid Training
- CPR/AED for Lifeguards or professional rescuer
- First Aid for Public Safety Personnel (Title 22)
- Instructors must also possess a Water Safety Instructor’s Certification (WSI).
This position is seasonal, part-time, at-will, without benefits.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Prior to completing an application, please read the minimum qualifications for the position in which you are interested. You cannot be considered for a position unless you meet the minimum experience, education, license, and/or certification requirements. Under the work experience section, account for all employment within the last ten years (including gaps in employment), beginning with your current or most recent employer. Applications will be rejected if “SEE RESUME” is written on any portion of this section. The Work Experience section of the application should clearly demonstrate that minimum qualifications are met. All statements made on applications are subject to investigation and verification. False statements will be cause for disqualification, removal from the Eligibility List, or discharge from employment.
SELECTION PROCESS: Following a review of applications submitted, qualified applicants will be notified of their status in the recruitment process, which may include the date, time, and place of an examination. Written, oral, performance and physical exams may be given (no veterans preference given). All candidates will be required to provide identification before being admitted to written, interview, or performance examinations.
We encourage everyone to file an application with us and we do not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sex, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, or veteran status. Reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act are available upon request for individuals with disabilities. Please call (909) 350-7650 for additional information or to request an accommodation. The provisions of this job posting do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provisions contained in this job posting may be modified or revoked without notice.
THE CITY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO RATE CANDIDATES BASED ON A REVIEW OF THE APPLICATION MATERIALS AND TO INVITE ONLY THE MOST QUALIFIED CANDIDATES TO PARTICIPATE IN SUCCESSIVE PARTS OF THE SELECTION PROCESS.