This is a temporary, at-will, seasonal position without benefits
DEFINITION: Under immediate supervision, perform a variety of maintenance and construction duties in the City’s Public Works Department, including streets, sewer, asphalt, parks, trees, fleet or facilities maintenance, repair or reconstruction work. Recruitment will be used to fill multiple vacancies within various divisions of the Public Works Department. Work schedule will not exceed 28 hours per week.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The incumbent must have the ability to:
- Perform heavy manual labor in a variety of construction and maintenance work.
- Perform general building repair, i.e., carpentry and plumbing.
- Install street barricades and cones, conduct traffic control, and install signs and legends.
- Perform asphalt removal, patching, shovel/rake/assist in asphalt installation.
- Remove concrete; grade area, construct forms; pour/assist in concrete and masonry finishing.
- Clean debris from storm drains, catch basins, sewers, streets, parking lots and walkways.
- Dig trenches; maintain drains, sewer laterals, mains, lift stations and manholes.
- Remove weeds, grass and debris; use power trimmers, cut and remove roots.
- Water, mow, trim, edge, and fertilize turf; spray herbicides; plant/weed landscaped areas.
- Prepare and maintain City sports fields; repair fencing and facilities.
- Trim and prune bushes, trees, shrubs; stake trees; remove litter.
- Collect and remove refuse and debris; perform janitorial work.
- Paint sports and park facilities, buildings, equipment and piping.
- Change tires, assist mechanics in servicing vehicles and equipment; clean shop areas.
- Operate maintenance power tools/saws/mowers/trimmers/paint sprayers and hand tools.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; keep accurate records.
- Perform any other tasks or functions deemed necessary to the daily or emergency operations of the employer.
THE ABOVE LIST OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS IS NOT EXHAUSTIVE AND MAY BE SUPPLEMENTED AS NECESSARY BY THE EMPLOYER.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking on uneven or slippery surfaces, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, stooping, and squatting, crouching, grasping and making repetitive hand movements in the performance of daily duties. Incumbents work in all weather conditions, use cleaning and lubricating chemicals, which may expose them to fumes, dust and air contaminants, drive motorized vehicles, heavy equipment and work around moving traffic and often works with constant interruptions. Incumbents are also required to climb ladders, use power and noise producing tools and equipment. Positions require near and far vision when inspecting work. Incumbents may be required to lift, carry and or pull/ push objects weighing 80 pounds or more.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING GUIDELINES: The employee must have the knowledge of methods, techniques and tools and the operational characteristics of maintenance equipment used in the construction and maintenance of field maintenance.
EXPERIENCE: Formal or informal education/training which ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance.
LICENSES: Must possess at the time of hire and continuously throughout, a valid California Class “C” Driver’s License.
This position is seasonal, part-time, at-will, without benefits.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Prior to completing an application, please read the minimum qualifications for the position in which you are interested. You cannot be considered for a position unless you meet the minimum experience, education, license, and/or certification requirements. Under the work experience section, account for all employment within the last ten years (including gaps in employment), beginning with your current or most recent employer. Applications will be rejected if “SEE RESUME” is written on any portion of this section. The Work Experience section of the application should clearly demonstrate that minimum qualifications are met. All statements made on applications are subject to investigation and verification. False statements will be cause for disqualification, removal from the Eligibility List, or discharge from employment.
SELECTION PROCESS: Following a review of applications submitted, qualified applicants will be notified of their status in the recruitment process, which may include the date, time, and place of an examination. Written, oral, performance and physical exams may be given (no veterans preference given). All candidates will be required to provide identification before being admitted to written, interview, or performance examinations.
We encourage everyone to file an application with us and we do not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sex, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, or veteran status. Reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act are available upon request for individuals with disabilities. Please call (909) 350-7650 for additional information or to request an accommodation. The provisions of this job posting do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provisions contained in this job posting may be modified or revoked without notice.
THE CITY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO RATE CANDIDATES BASED ON A REVIEW OF THE APPLICATION MATERIALS AND TO INVITE ONLY THE MOST QUALIFIED CANDIDATES TO PARTICIPATE IN SUCCESSIVE PARTS OF THE SELECTION PROCESS.