$9,349 - $11,474/mo. + excellent benefits
DEFINITION: Under general direction from the Community Development Director, manages, directs and coordinates the activities of the Building & Safety Division; oversees and renders interpretations of a comprehensive set of municipal building codes to ensure construction complies with applicable codes, laws and ordinances; coordinates plan check and building inspection activities with other divisions and departments; and outside agencies; represents Building & Safety on the Development Advisory Board; responds to the most difficult inquiries and complaints by the public; attends meetings and makes presentations, prepares reports, memoranda, letters and other forms of correspondence; and provides highly complex staff assistance to the Community Development Director. Exercises direct supervision over professional, technical and clerical staff.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The incumbent must have the ability to:
- Recommend goals and objectives; assist in the development and implementation of policies and procedures.
- Manage, direct and organize plan check and building inspection activities; coordinate plan check and building inspection activities with other City departments, contractors and developers.
- Direct, oversee and participate in the development of the plan check building inspection work plan; assign work activities, projects and programs; monitor work flow; review and evaluate work products, methods and procedures.
- Prepare the Division budgets; assist in budget implementation; participate in the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; administer the approved budget.
- Participate in recommending the appointment of personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; and implement discipline procedures.
- Supervise and participate in plan check and building inspection activities; evaluate the need for and develop procedures, methods and schedules.
- Provide technical and administrative assistance to the Community Development Director; develop, prepare and present reports, surveys and other administrative activities.
- Participate in professional and public meetings as required including job site and construction meetings.
- Oversee and direct Division office operations; maintain appropriate records and files; coordinate work flow.
- Assist in preparing presentations for City Council, Planning Commission, and the Design Advisory Board; assist in preparing ordinances and ordinance amendments related to building activities.
- Render interpretations of the building codes.
- Perform any other tasks or functions deemed necessary to the daily operations of the employer.
THE ABOVE LIST OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS IS NOT EXHAUSTIVE AND MAY BE SUPPLEMENTED AS NECESSARY BY THE EMPLOYER.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking on level and slippery surfaces, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, stooping, squatting, crouching, grasping and making repetitive hand movement in the performance of daily duties. Incumbents may be required to lift, carry and/or push objects weighing 25 pounds or more. The position requires near and far vision when inspecting work. Incumbents may work in all weather conditions, and may be exposed to fumes, dust and air contaminants, drive motorized vehicles and work around moving traffic.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING GUIDELINES: The incumbent must have knowledge of: organizational and management practices as applied to the analysis and evaluation of programs, policies and operational needs; principles and techniques of budget development and administration; Principles and practices or organization, administration and personnel management; California Building Standards Code and the base model codes, as well as the referenced standards; principles of structural design, engineering mathematics and building inspection; modern methods of building construction; research methods and sources of information related to building code enforcement; pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations; principles of supervision, training and performance evaluation; and modern office practices, procedures, methods and equipment. EXPERIENCE: Five (5) years of increasingly responsible experience in plan check and inspection of public, commercial, industrial and residential buildings including three years of supervisory experience. EDUCATION: Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in civil/structural engineering, architecture, business administration or a related field.
LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS: Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California Driver’s License. Possession of International Code Council (ICC) certification as a Building Plans Examiner or Building Inspector is required. Possession of ICC certification as a Certified Building Official or obtain within 1 year. Registration as a Civil/Structural Engineer or Licensed as an Architect with the State of California is highly desired.
- Cell Phone Allowance: $1,020/year
- Longevity Pay: Payable after 10 years of service
- Personal Leave Accrual (Vacation & Sick Leave): 224-312 hours/year depending on years of service
- Administrative Leave: 60 hours/year
- Holidays: 11 City-observed holidays, and an additional 3 Floating Holidays
- Work Schedule: 4/10 work week (Monday – Thursday)
- Retirement: Enrollment in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS): 2.0% @ 55 formula for Classic CalPERS members with a 7% employee contribution, or 2.0% @ 62 formula for New CalPERS members with a 5.75% employee contribution (Member contribution subject to change).
- Health Insurance (Medical, Dental, & Vision Insurance): Up to $1,799 month towards the purchase of medical, dental, vision, group life, and short and long term disability insurance.
- Fringe Benefits: All fringe benefits which are proportionate to those provided to Management/Confidential Unit employees.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Prior to completing an application, please read the minimum qualifications for the position in which you are interested. You cannot be considered for a position unless you meet the minimum experience, education, license, and/or certification requirements. Under the work experience section, account for all employment within the last ten years (including gaps in employment), beginning with your current or most recent employer. Applications will be rejected if “SEE RESUME” is written on any portion of this section. The Work Experience section of the application should clearly demonstrate that minimum qualifications are met. All statements made on applications are subject to investigation and verification. False statements will be cause for disqualification, removal from the Eligibility List, or discharge from employment.
SELECTION PROCESS: Following a review of applications submitted, qualified applicants will be notified of their status in the recruitment process, which may include the date, time, and place of an examination. Written, oral, performance and physical exams may be given (no veterans preference given). All candidates will be required to provide identification before being admitted to written, interview, or performance examinations.
We encourage everyone to file an application with us and we do not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sex, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, or veteran status. Reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act are available upon request for individuals with disabilities. Please call (909) 350-7650 for additional information or to request an accommodation. The provisions of this job posting do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provisions contained in this job posting may be modified or revoked without notice.
THE CITY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO RATE CANDIDATES BASED ON A REVIEW OF THE APPLICATION MATERIALS AND TO INVITE ONLY THE MOST QUALIFIED CANDIDATES TO PARTICIPATE IN SUCCESSIVE PARTS OF THE SELECTION PROCESS.