(Senior Citizen Van Driver)
$14.64 - $17.80/hr., Part-time, No Benefits
DEFINITION: Under supervision, drives the City’s 7-15 passenger van(s) and provides responsible, safe transport for senior citizens and the physically disabled. Schedule may include evenings, holidays and weekends; work schedule will not exceed 28 hours per week.
LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS: All applicants MUST attach proof of Class B Driver’s License with passenger endorsement at the time you submit your employment application.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The employee must have the ability to:
- Transport seniors and disabled community members to and from appointments.
- Have the ability to operate a wheelchair lift including correctly loading the passenger onto the wheelchair lift and effectively securing the individual to the vehicle using the appropriate tie downs; assist passengers entering and exiting the vehicle; keep daily records and logs for attendance, mileage and maintenance concerns.
- Complete a thorough pre-trip and post trip inspection of the transportation vehicle on a daily basis.
- Maintain a punctual schedule of picking up seniors for their appointments to ensure a high quality of service.
- Maintain vans, including weekly wash, motor pool inspection, weekly inventory of emergency supplies, and securing the vehicles in the City yard at the end of the night; Contact immediate supervisor and motor pool supervisors when mechanical failures arise.
- Ensure the safety of the community including passengers and personal care attendants as well as other drivers and pedestrians throughout the City.
- Ensure all passengers are safely seat belted in and that safety precautions are adhered to at all times.
- Answer phones and interact with the public in a professional and courteous manner at all times.
- Navigate the City of Fontana efficiently including adhering to speed limits and follow all traffic laws.
- Follow appropriate cash handling procedures including writing out a receipt for all customers that pay for a ride at their pick up time; Complete a daily transportation log which includes establishing the pickup times for the route’s passengers.
- Double check the day’s schedule and follow up with the transportation office to ensure that all passengers have returned home safely either through the senior services transportation vehicles or on their own accord.
- Operate a computer and related software.
- Establish and maintain cooperative-working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Perform any other tasks or functions deemed necessary to the daily operations of the employer.
THE ABOVE LIST OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS IS NOT EXHAUSTIVE AND MAY BE SUPPLEMENTED AS NECESSARY BY THE EMPLOYER.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING GUIDELINES: A combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. The employee must have the knowledge of Bus/Van operation, effective safety precautions, and first aid techniques.
EXPERIENCE: Successful candidate will have a valid Class B California Driver’s License with passenger endorsement, a good driving record, and some bus/van driving experience.
WORKING CONDITIONS: This position requires prolonged sitting, reaching, twisting, turning, grasping, making repetitive hand movements and occasional walking on level, unleveled, and slippery surfaces, bending/stooping, and crouching in the performance of daily duties. May be required to lift, carry and/or push object weighing 10 pounds or more. May work in all weather conditions and be subject to vibrations when holding onto steering wheel, work around moving traffic and often works with constant interruptions. The employee must have good vision and hearing abilities.
This position is part-time, at-will, without benefits.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Prior to completing an application, please read the minimum qualifications for the position in which you are interested. You cannot be considered for a position unless you meet the minimum experience, education, license, and/or certification requirements. Under the work experience section, account for all employment within the last ten years (including gaps in employment), beginning with your current or most recent employer. Applications will be rejected if “SEE RESUME” is written on any portion of this section. The Work Experience section of the application should clearly demonstrate that minimum qualifications are met. All statements made on applications are subject to investigation and verification. False statements will be cause for disqualification, removal from the Eligibility List, or discharge from employment.
SELECTION PROCESS: Following a review of applications submitted, qualified applicants will be notified of their status in the recruitment process, which may include the date, time, and place of an examination. Written, oral, performance and physical exams may be given (no veterans preference given). All candidates will be required to provide identification before being admitted to written, interview, or performance examinations.
We encourage everyone to file an application with us and we do not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sex, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, or veteran status. Reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act are available upon request for individuals with disabilities. Please call (909) 350-7650 for additional information or to request an accommodation. The provisions of this job posting do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provisions contained in this job posting may be modified or revoked without notice.
THE CITY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO RATE CANDIDATES BASED ON A REVIEW OF THE APPLICATION MATERIALS AND TO INVITE ONLY THE MOST QUALIFIED CANDIDATES TO PARTICIPATE IN SUCCESSIVE PARTS OF THE SELECTION PROCESS.