SUSTAINABILITY INTERN – CITY MANAGER’S DEPARTMENT
$20 - $30 per hour Depending on Qualifications
POSITION IS PART-TIME / NO BENEFITS
This is an ideal position for an undergraduate or preferably a graduate college student in environmental studies or public policy. The intern will assist the City in a providing more effective management and coordination of sustainability activities including alternative transportation and gain valuable experience in public service.
The position is part-time with flexible scheduling up to a maximum of 999 hours per fiscal year and no benefits are provided. The Sustainability Intern receives direction and guidance from the Assistant City Manager in the City Manager’s office.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND ASSIGNMENTS:
Responsibilities include the administrative implementation of the Sustainable Foster City Plan including, but not limited to programs and initiatives in the Economic Development Strategic and the Climate Action Plans, respectively.
- Preparing agendas, public notices and materials for meetings, public notices and materials for meetings, attending meetings with the Assistant City Manager and/or Management Analyst, and preparing minutes.
- Maintaining Sustainable Foster City ideas and proposals and writing reports.
- Researching best practices and what other communities are doing in the area of Environmental Sustainability and Economic Development.
- Gathering data and information regarding City Sustainable efforts, including environmental, economic, and transportation initiatives.
- Completing other related environmental sustainability work.
- Empower people to walk, bike, carpool or take transit rather than drive alone.
- Research commute alternatives for our employees.
- Share your ideas of how we can change the way people make transportation decisions
- Empowering community members to use resources more efficiently in regard to active and alternative transportation; and
- Researching creative solutions for our community that address the housing-transportation nexus
SCHEDULE AND HOURS:
Schedule can be flexible, but will include attendance at night meetings. For a student, it can be part-time during the school year and full-time in the summer or during school vacations. Total hours will be less than 1,000 per fiscal year.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
Knowledge of: Use and applicability of personal and on-line computer systems and related software applications, including MS Office and web.
Skill in: Efficient operation of computer equipment, including Microsoft Office Suite; excellent customer service skills and the ability to produce well-written documents and reports.
Ability to: Understand and carry out verbal and written instructions; establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and community leaders. Research and possess knowledge or have experience in sustainable policies or practices.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING GUIDELINES:
College-level education; people skills; communication skills; research and computer skills; and a
knowledge of and interest in environmental sustainability would be highly desirable. Demonstrated success in achieving sustained mode shift in transportation a plus.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, REGISTRATION:
Licenses: Possess valid California Drivers license with a good driving record.
HOW TO APPLY:
A City/District application is required for consideration. Submit applications online at www.calopps.org or at the Human Resources Department, City of Foster City, 610 Foster City Blvd., Foster City, CA 94404.
The City Manager's Department will contact the most qualified candidates for an interview. The
candidate selected for this position must complete a fingerprint background check before starting