The City of Fremont
Fremont maintains a workforce of approximately 915 staff. It is an employer that values its people, creativity, quality service, integrity, open communication, mutual respect and diversity. Home to a wide variety of innovative high tech, life science and clean technology firms including Tesla Motors, Lam Research, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Redwood Systems among many others. The City’s Innovation District is known as the hottest new address for start-ups. Over the last two years, companies in Fremont received more than $400 million in venture funding according to PitchBook Data. Employees find their work challenging, yet rewarding, and most importantly, enjoy the chance to make a difference through public service. Think Fremont!
The Community Development Department
Fremont’s Community Development Department consists of 72 team members supporting the following divisions: Administration, Code Enforcement, Planning, Plans and Permits ,Building Inspection and Housing.
We’re Looking for someone who is:
- Experienced in leading a team of Plan Check professionals.
- Knowledgeable of local City of Fremont ordinances, California Building Codes, California Fire Codes, and their appropriate applications.
- Creative and able to resolve customer challenges with a problem solving approach and perspective!
- A skilled team leader. Able to lead diverse teams to complete a variety of high profile tasks.
- A polished professional. You will represent the City at a variety of venues with major clients as well as at public meetings, including City Council meetings.
- Able to make expedient but sound decisions under pressure.
- Able to lead with personal accountability and integrity.
- Able to work with other divisions, departments and outside agencies collaboratively and in concert with City vision and direction.
- Flexible! This position may require the coordination of plan reviews outside traditional hours.
Reporting to the Building Official you will:
- Manage the plan review section of the Building Division.
- Make complex determinations on fire and building code plan reviews while insuring compliance with local policies, procedure, and ordinances.
- Present City information both orally and in writing to city employees and external customers.
- Improve team efficiencies by implementing industry best practices.
- Manage special projects.
- Maintain a position working relationships for team based project reviews between all divisions to achieve business-friendly actions and efficient turn around times.
Tools used in Community Development:
- Accela Automation Permit Software
- Electronic plan review utilizing Adobe Pro and E-Plan Check
- Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint, and Microsoft Outlook
- Internet for research of construction products and their proper applications.
The ideal candidate for this job will typically have:
- The required ICC Plans Examiner Certification. A Licensed Architect, or Licensed Engineer with the State of California is preferred .
- A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Business Administration, Economics, Finance or Public Administration.
- Five years of progressively responsible professional level municipal service, two years of which have been in a lead or supervisory capacity.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
Current benefit features include:
- CalPERS Retirement Benefit*
Classic Employees - 2.0% @ 60 benefit, 3 year final average compensation.
New Employees - 2.0% @ 62 benefit, 3 year final average compensation.
Required PERS contributions vary by plan. All required contributions are tax deferred.
- Cafeteria Benefits Plan for employees/dependents includes up to $2,130.13 monthly to purchase medical, dental and vision plans; child care and medical expenses can be paid for with pre-tax dollars.