WHY JOIN THE CITY OF FREMONT TEAM?
Fremont is a well-managed and innovative city, and has recently generated national attention by placing in Money Magazine’s top 50 “Best Places to Live 2016” in the country, and ranking 4th on the “Most Family Friendly” list of California cities by Estately. Located in the heart of the Bay Area and Silicon Valley, Fremont prides itself on innovation, green technology, a low crime rate, great schools, a low unemployment rate, quality parks and nearby open space, and an incredibly diverse population of over 231,664 residents. As a full service city, Fremont employs over 915 regular employees and has an annual operating budget of approximately $190 million.
Fremont is an employer that values its people, creativity, quality service, integrity, open communication, collaboration, mutual respect, and diversity. Employees find their work challenging, yet rewarding, and most importantly, enjoy the chance to make a difference through public service.
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SERVICES—WHO WE ARE
Our mission is to “deliver the best proven technology and services available for computer, data, telecommunications, mapping, and critical business systems to employees and the public through excellent customer service, continuous improvement, innovative problem-solving, adherence to standardized information best practices, and collaborative solutions.” Our department is forward thinking in local government and was the winner of the Municipal Information Systems Association of California (MISAC) Quality IT Practices Award in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS
You will thrive in this position if you have the ability to:
- Tackle complex problems with a positive can-do attitude
- Design and implement complex communication systems
- Work with internal and external customers to develop innovative solutions to communication concerns
- Introduce state of the art solutions to data communication needs
- Successfully complete a comprehensive pre-employment background check including, but not limited to, a Department of Justice finger print exam, and police administered polygraph.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
As an essential member of the Information Technology Services Department, the Telecommunications System Engineer will work across the City to perform problem solving and needs analysis to determine the best solution to telecommunication problems.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Design, plan and implement telecommunication systems including equipment, components, analog/data circuits, fiber optics; such systems include monitoring systems, audio/video systems, VolP systems, fixed and mobile communications equipment including Wi-Fi.
- Prepare specifications for equipment, data circuits, and systems implementation to ensure adequacy of design features and compliance with general design and operational requirements.
- Contacts and coordinates the work of contract service providers in the physical installation, repair and modification of telecommunication and data systems for the City.
- Confer with staff to determine long term telecommunication or data communications needs and provides consultation in the maximization of telephony applications usage.
- Order and store equipment and stock.
- Installation, maintenance and repair of telecommunication and data communication systems.
- Evaluate new products for applicability to possible future City use.
Any combination of education and/or experience that has provided the knowledge, skills and abilities for satisfactory job performance would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge, skills and abilities would be: a AA or AS degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or a closely related field, and four years of related experience. Experience with Mitel phone systems and knowledge of cabling specifications and building code as it relates to the installation of cabling is highly desirable.
This classification requires the ability to travel independently within and outside the City limits and possession of a valid Class C California driver’s license and safe driving record is required at time of appointment.
This temporary, non-benefited position will be receive an additional 15% of base pay in lieu of benefits.