The Engineering Division of the Public Works Department seeks to fill a Senior Office Specialist position for provide lead clerical support to work group sections of the Engineering Division and lead in implementing improvements to office management processes. The Sr. Office Specialist will also provide general administrative support functions department wide.
The probationary period for this position is twelve (12) months.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Perform a wide variety of administrative and complex clerical duties in support of an assigned division or section.
- Serve as lead to other office specialist class staff including assigning and reviewing work.
- Recommend and implement organizational procedural changes affecting clerical activities.
- Initiate and maintain a variety of files and records and may coordinate file inventory/retention.
- Assist with preparation of Capital Budget documents.
- Serve as dept./division resource for implementation of new city tech systems including training fellow staff.
- Receive public inquiries and respond or direct to other staff as appropriate.
- Set up and maintain statistical and operational records.
- Process accounts payable/receivable.
- Receive, issue, and process various applications, licenses, permits and other forms.
- Screen calls, visitors, mail and take action appropriate to request/situation, independently respond to letters and general correspondence of a routine nature.
- Maintain appointment schedules and calendars.
- Arrange meetings and conferences.
- Operate a variety of office equipment including computer equipment and uses a variety of software programs as appropriate.
- Develop and maintain spreadsheets, databases and other automated systems.
- Maintain inventory and office supplies.
- Preserve confidentiality of sensitive material routinely encountered as part of work assignments.
- Route agreements and contracts through the signature process.
- Coordinate or participate in preparation for meetings, presentations and events.
- Posts and maintains information on department/division intranet and/or internet website pages.
- Builds and maintains positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
The Public Works Department is searching for a highly organized, independent, and effective team player who is able to multi-task in fast-paced work environments. The ideal candidate must have knowledge of modern office practices and procedures, computer equipment, and software applications related to assignments, such as MS Office Suite. The Senior Office Specialist must demonstrate excellent customer service skills and the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing while comfortably working in diverse environments.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Any combination of education and/or experience that has provided the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for satisfactory job performance would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge, skills and abilities would be: graduation from high school (or equivalent), supplemented by course work in business/public administration, and two years of journey level clerical experience.
Possession of a valid Class C California Driver’s license by the time of appointment is required.
- Work experience in a governmental/municipal setting, specifically in public works.
- AA Degree.
Current benefit features include:
- Cal PERS Retirement Benefit*
- Classic Employees - 2% @ 60 benefit, 3 year final average compensation.
- New Employees - 2 % @ 62 benefit, 3 year final average compensation.
- Required PERS contributions vary by plan. All required contributions are tax deferred.
- Cafeteria Benefits Plan for CFEA employees/dependents includes $2,081.95 monthly for vision, medical and dental plans; child care and medical expenses can be paid for with pre-tax dollars.
A complete benefits summary can be found at www.fremont.gov/DocumentCenter/View/18704.
To view the complete job announcement and application instructions, visit: www.fremont.gov/cityjobs.
The recruitment will close once 50 applications have been received. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.