The City of Fremont’s Human Services Department is currently looking for a temporary employee to serve as Winter Relief Shelter Coordinator. This position is responsible for the daily operations of the shelter and overseeing monitors and volunteers who staff the facility. This position reports to the Human Services Director, or her designee, and coordinates with the Department’s Executive Assistant regarding scheduling, reporting, and other administrative tasks.
The Coordinator position can work up to 40 hours a week, between the hours of 4:30pm and 7 am. The Winter Relief Shelter will be open from November 15th through March 15th, to provide a safe and welcoming environment for individuals and families experiencing homelessness. Participants will have access to the shelter from approximately 6:30 p.m. to 7:00 a.m., where they will be provided a warm dinner, restroom facilities, sleeping bags, cots, breakfast, and a to-go lunch.
EXAMPLES OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- This position is responsible for maintaining the health and safety of homeless individuals and families who are living on the streets or in their cars and are in need of emergency shelter.
- Oversee the monitors to ensure that they follow procedures and support them in decision-making, while enforcing rules and procedures with participants.
- Maintain the inventory of supplies to ensure they are adequate for the functioning of the warming shelter.
- Coordinate with City Serve Compassion Network regarding food and site volunteers to ensure timely delivery of meals and adequate volunteer support of shelter functions.
- Responsible for accurate, daily data collection.
- Coordinate medical services with Tri-City Health Services.
- Ensure that monitors complete nighty report of their observations and notes.
- Coordinate with Abode Services regarding outreach workers.
- Work compassionately with those who have difficulty engaging with service providers.
- Maintain a welcoming, safe, and equitable environment for clients, monitors/other staff, and volunteers.
- Effectively resolve conflicts among participants and de-escalate potentially violent situations.
- Coordinate with janitorial and building maintenance to communicate issues and schedule routine cleanings.
- Ensure participant adherence to rules, especially related to behaviors that are unsafe. If necessary, notify public safety personnel to help “exit” clients with inappropriate or unsafe behaviors.
- Exercise good judgement and be sufficiently confident to call for 911 assistance in case of medical or other emergency.
- Coordinate with Human Services Executive Assistant regarding monitor work schedules to ensure adequate staffing at all times.
- Other related duties as assigned.
The Human Services Department is searching for friendly and compassionate candidates with the ability to effectively work with a diverse group and help participants feel welcome, while ensuring a safe environment. Candidates must have the flexibility to oversee a 7 day a week operation.
Any combination of education and/or experience that has provided the knowledge and skills necessary for satisfactory job performance would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and skills would be a high school diploma or equivalent, and experience overseeing volunteers, working with those experiencing homelessness or other social service populations. Social service experience or experience working with the homeless population is highly desirable.
The ideal candidate must have the ability to work in a fair and non-judgmental way with participants, supervise staff and volunteers, which may include the ability to train and delegate tasks, and the ability to work in a busy environment. The Coordinator is required to be familiar with and enforce Winter Relief Shelter Policies and Procedures, facility and emergency procedures for exiting the building, and contacting 911. First Aid training is highly desirable.
This temporary position does not include benefits.
To view the complete job announcement and application instructions, visit www.fremont.gov/tempjobs.
Qualified candidates will be promptly referred to the department for consideration. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply immediately.