Fremont is a well-managed and innovative city! Located in the heart of the Bay Area and Silicon Valley, Fremont prides itself on innovation, clean technology and advanced manufacturing, a low crime rate, great schools, a low unemployment rate, quality parks, nearby open space, and an incredibly diverse population of over 235,000 residents. With its strong and diversified business base, Fremont is an important economic force in the region. The City strives to be an innovator in municipal government, with dynamic leadership provided by the City Council and City Manager. Fremont employs over 936 regular employees and has a General Fund budget of approximately $205 million dollars.
Fremont is an employer that values its people, creativity, quality service, integrity, open communication, collaboration, mutual respect, and diversity. Employees find their work challenging, yet rewarding, and most importantly, enjoy the chance to make a difference through public service.
The Street Maintenance Worker I (SMW I) will perform a wide variety of tasks in the construction, maintenance and repair of roads, sidewalks, curbing, storm drains, traffic signage and pavement markings.
This recruitment will fill multiple SMW I vacancies for regular and temporary positions.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
- Apply, rake and tamp asphalt to perform Class A patching and skin patching of surface cracks.
- Remove failed asphalt.
- Drive light and heavy trucks with trailers.
- Spray oil on excavated area and over patches.
- Operate compressor, jackhammer and other power tools.
- Operate grader with cutting wheel or ripper teeth, loader, backhoe or storm drain cleaning machines.
- Spread and level base rock
- Replace, maintain and repair guard rails, traffic dividers, signs, and similar traffic control devices.
- Apply stripes and intervals for new street markings
- Select proper stencils for street markings
- Remove drain outlet cover
- Clean storm drains and lines using hand and power tools
- Control and remove litter
- Replace, maintain and repair guard rails, traffic dividers, signs and similar traffic control devices.
- Use stencils to spray street markings.
- Clean storm drains and lines using hand and power tools.
The ideal candidate will possess knowledge of street maintenance and construction, including applying asphalt and oils; techniques used in Class A patching, skin patching and crack sealing; and mixing, pouring and finishing concrete. The successful candidate will have the ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions, understand and follow written and verbal instructions, and maintain daily work records.
Any combination of education and/or experience which has provided the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for satisfactory job performance would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge, skills and abilities would be: graduation from high school (or equivalent) and one year of street repair or street construction experience.
Possession of a valid Class C California Driver’s License at date of hire is required. A valid Class A California Driver’s License prior to completion of probation is required.
Fremont offers an attractive benefits package, which includes, but is not limited to: CalPERS retirement plan, paid holidays, medical, dental and other city paid benefits. A complete benefits summary can be found at www.fremont.gov.