The Accounting Specialist II position will provide a variety of customer service, financial and accounting duties in the preparation, maintenance and processing of accounting records and financial transactions within the Revenue Division of the Finance Department.
Examples of duties
· Provide excellent customer service to residents and businesses in the City of Fremont.
· Central cashiering function for citywide services, including cash handling, issuing receipts and balancing cash bags, cash drawer and accounts on a daily basis.
· Perform difficult or specialized financial, accounting, or statistical office support duties in a centralized accounting setting, including accounts receivable, central processing and collection of City revenue and billings.
· Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public, applying principles of excellent customer service.
· Receive business tax, development fees and charges.
· Ensure proper authorization and compliance with City policies and procedures.
· Receive checks by mail and process and balance accordingly.
· Receive payments via internet and reconcile as needed.
· Record and post information, data or figures.
· Update electronic records and perform filing and research of numeric and alpha records.
· Assist with projects to maximize collection of City revenue, including researching returned mail.
· Perform a variety of general administrative duties such as typing, proofreading, and filing.
· Perform mathematical calculations thoroughly and accurately.
· Maintain a variety of manual and automated records.
· Provide information to the public or to City staff that may require the use of judgment and interpretations of City policies, procedures, ordinances, and regulations.
· Prepare Excel spreadsheets.
· Perform related duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have any combination of education and/or experience that demonstrates possession of and competency in the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for job performance. A typical qualifying background would include completion of the twelfth grade or equivalent and two years of accounting and clerical experience. City government experience is a plus. A Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
Ability and desire to provide excellent customer service.
Work with the public face-to-face, by phone and e-mail, in a fast-paced environment.
Principles and practices of financial record keeping, bookkeeping.
Applicable laws, rules and regulations.
English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Modern office practices and procedures.
Computer equipment and software applications related to assignment and basic mathematics.
Oral and written communication.
Strong attention to detail.
Microsoft Excel and Word—Proficient.
High volume cash handling or cashiering.
To be considered for this position, apply online by submitting a completed City application and resume through our online application system: www.fremont.gov/cityjobs.
The testing process for this position may include an individual and/or panel interview, written exercise, background investigation including credit and reference checks, and other selection components. Only those candidates who have the best combination of qualifications in relation to the requirements and duties of the position will continue in the selection process. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an invitation to participate in the process.